Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"This powder coated or mirror polished very strong .125 wall CNC built 6061 billet aluminum and polished 304 stainless steel kit replaces the stock restrictive plastic intake box with a super high flowing K&N type air filter. Our intake system produced 10+ horsepower on our Project Mazda3 , and is a true Ram-Air Cold Air Intake, **receiving pressurized air into a fully sealed air box from outside of the super heated engine compartment. (Most intake systems are just a cone filter and pipe which grab hot air from around the radiator and the engine , which is why they don't have the same good Horsepower increase that our kit does.) No chance of getting water or dirt into your engine with our system either. Our system is quiet too! No loud funky intake noise."

Have any of you guys heard of this one? They claim it is a "ram-air" Just wondering if anyone has come across this or if someone might actually have one in their car. Oh and here is the wesite, go to Mazda3 parts, then intake.

www.shaneracing.com

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
is that 10 hp increase from 87 octane? or did they test w/o ram @ 87 and w/ram at 91?

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=70017.msg1219021#msg1219021 date=1172001956]
that's sr motorsports. they're a sponsor here.
[/quote] :dhorse:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well I'd like to know how they dyno tested it with RAM air...how did they produce the same air flow as if the car was at speed. MOST ram air systems don't come into effect until highspeeds so I guess I'd like to know how they enduced air into the ram air snorkel to duplicate real life air flow. Putting a fan in front of it will work somewhat...but still not 100%...also what tire pressures were they running...sometimes you can get different numbers just by adjusting some variables...course everyone knows that...just stating the obvious I guess.

Just took a look...they call that ram air? Looks like a standard CAI just entering a sealed can before the throttle body to me. Ram air is a is introducing air into a scoup of some kind that is sealed from there on back...typically the air filter is inside the compartment. The scoup is designed to speed up air flow and to help direct it thru the filter into the TB. Their air filter is pretty much in the same place as any of the CAI or WAI that I've seen for our cars. I don't mean any disrespect to this company and sounds like they are a good company to deal with...as was mentioned above they are a sponsor of the site...but I guess I don't see how it could be a true ram air system.

If this is ram air then someone please explain to me why it is?

·
Registered
781 Posts
^^ You're most definitely correct. Their claim of it being ram air is false. You'd be better off getting an AEM, F2 or Fujita F5 intake since those actually put the filter just in front of the wheel well; a much cooler place than where the filter on this crap is.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Injen FTW!:)

·
Registered
626 Posts
There are only two great choices when it come to intakes Simota's and Fujita F5's I have an F5 it is awesome. You'll probably never hear someone talk bad about those two, or at least I haven't and that spans beyond the Mazda realm, There are Honda guys I hang out with and they're like "damn you got a Fujita!" The new Simota CAI is actually the better of the two, it has the best gains of any Intake right now. Bean, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as I believe this is yours and RubyRed's area of expertise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I felt the same way when I first saw this thing. How can it be a ram air...I agree they probably are a good company but this product sounds a bit off.

Just wanted to know if anyone has one.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
it is a "short ram intake" and when the battery ("cold air") ducting is removed then it likely collects air from the bottom of the canister that is being forced through the slot of that ducting.

guys, you needent take one word so literally.

furthermore, sr motorsports makes overpriced things for our car. this is no exception.

there are many great choices of intake for this car, you won't necessarily be able to tell a difference between a lot of them.[quote author=eurotuner link=topic=70017.msg1219115#msg1219115 date=1172004621]
[quote author=biped link=topic=70017.msg1219021#msg1219021 date=1172001956]
that's sr motorsports. they're a sponsor here.
[/quote] :dhorse:
[/quote]

your posts only make sense 50% of the time. welcome to the other 50%.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts