Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know with rain sensors its not a good idea to apply it or any product like it. Has anyone done it and does it make the auto wipers worthless? Is there any way to apply it to all but the part of the windshield that the auto sensor needs to see? I dont have mine yet so i cant get a visual of how the sensor works or if its worthless...if i find its worthless and id rather control the wipers myself ill just apply the rain-x and not care?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have the same question myself. I'll try to take some close-ups pictures for you... The manual doesn't say anything about what you can apply to the windshield or anything.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I applied it to mine once and had no problems at all with the rain sensors. They worked fine and seemed to adjust the same as before I applied it and after it wore off. The only screwy thing is that you basically just shut off your wipers altogether since the rain-x works so well.

Edit: Coulda, someone posted somewhere that your avatar is cool, I wanted to +1,000 that comment!! I just wasted about 5 minutes earlier watching it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well all the rumors about the UK being rainy are true...and with the buckets it dumps all the time im certain i will need the wipes AND rain-x haha. thank you for the information.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The manual DOES say not to use products like this, but I am a longtime RainX fan, and have used it successfully on my MS3. I try to avoid coating the section of windshield center top where the rain sensor is located, but not sure it really matters.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so its top center...sorta just above the rearveiw mirror? seems like it would be easy to just skip over...might do that just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Word of advice, clean your windshield properly and use good wipers and change them at proper intervals,, and you'll be perfectly fine!

I use the Bosch Icon wiper blades, they're the one piece looking wipers, with also have an aerofoil on em to not lift at high speeds. Great blade design, washing my windshield often works great too. Use Isopropyl Alcohol (clear stuff, whiteish bottle) and you'll have very clear viewing. I've also used rainx a lot before, but didnt want to mess up the rain sensors also. But so far, no worries. I used to always have awful wipers, so rainx was great.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Bosch Icons FTW.

~Saint

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
This stuff works well in the winter and some manuals say not to use them because sometimes it can leave a haze on a windshield and in these days of lawsuits, the oem's have most likely seen lawsuits from people crashing and blaming the accident/stupidity on the car manufacturers.

I used this on my 3 and other cars and it usually lasts about 3 months in regular weather condition, less in snowy places but the best defense is still better wiper blades.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Speaking of which. Does anyone know if they make a wiper blade (bosh icons) for the rear wiper on the hatch. I really need to replace that. Either that or an alternitive that shows the same preformance.

~Saint

·
Registered
781 Posts
[quote author=Saint link=topic=67270.msg1156335#msg1156335 date=1169152887]
Speaking of which. Does anyone know if they make a wiper blade (bosh icons) for the rear wiper on the hatch. I really need to replace that. Either that or an alternitive that shows the same preformance.

~Saint
[/quote]

I really wouldn't know since... :sedansrule:

[quote author=Coulda link=topic=67270.msg1156342#msg1156342 date=1169153030]
Are you kidding me... 50 bucks for wipers?
[/quote]

Yeah but they are SOOOOOOO worth it if you like to see in the rain!

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
why is this in the mazdaspeed section?

anyways, it SHOULDNT harm the sensor as it is clear so it won't bug the sensor at all. the sensor is also located under the glass.

I dont know why they callit rain sensing wipers....the wipers dont have the rain sensor in it!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
UH OH here comes the hatch/sedan war haha. 50 bucks for wipers. Well lets see I spent 100 on exhaust, 75 for paint, 65 for led bulbs, and about another 200 on crap I didn't need. 50 bucks to keep me safe in rain....I think its well worth it. Plus there is really no comparison between bosch icons and any other wiper. Its like hids and halogens...night and day.

From what I have heard the wipers work by using infrared. The sensor shoots out beams and determines the wiper speed by how much interference it receives from those beams returning.

Oh and by the way....
:tgm3:

~Saint

·
Registered
781 Posts
[quote author=Saint link=topic=67270.msg1156374#msg1156374 date=1169153978]
Its like hids and halogens...night and day.

~Saint
[/quote]

Shouldn't that be "like HALOGENS and HIDS...night and day"?

I've spent $1500 on many other things that I enjoy also but only the HIDs really help my safety and those were $300. $50 bucks for wipers seems insignificant for even more added safety. You wouldn't drive without your seatbelt on would you?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think wiper blades are the least of your problems when in the rain. Hitting puddles on a bend while braking is a problem. What sort of rain do you guys get over there that the standard blades can't deal with? Does it rain gravy or something?!!! As Coulda said Britain is a tad wet at the moment with roads flooded, trees killing motorists etc and my blades work fine. RainX is rather a good novelty but I think money is far better spent on better lighting if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
[quote author=Mazda3Pride link=topic=67270.msg1156386#msg1156386 date=1169154457]

~Saint
[/quote]

I've spent $1500 on many other things that I enjoy also but only the HIDs really help my safety and those were $300. $50 bucks for wipers seems insignificant for even more added safety. You wouldn't drive without your seatbelt on would you?
[/quote]

I guess HALOGENS and HIDS....? I don't see the difference. Unless it's a grammer issue which if it is forget it. I always failed English class.

I had no problem spending the money for the wipers. The fact that the stock ones did a crappy job of getting rain off the windscreen ticked me off like no other. Also anything over 50 and the wipers would lift and bounce on their travel from side to side. That kind of stuff really gets to me fast haha.

Really for me it's not the rain that sucks. Most of the streets that I drive on are very smooth so the spray kicked up from other cars becomes a problem especially at night.

~Saint

·
Registered
759 Posts
[quote author=FluffyDucky link=topic=67270.msg1156399#msg1156399 date=1169154872]
I think wiper blades are the least of your problems when in the rain. Hitting puddles on a bend while braking is a problem. What sort of rain do you guys get over there that the standard blades can't deal with? Does it rain gravy or something?!!! As Coulda said Britain is a tad wet at the moment with roads flooded, trees killing motorists etc and my blades work fine. RainX is rather a good novelty but I think money is far better spent on better lighting if you haven't already.
[/quote]

From experience, I can tell you that the UK sees rain more often but many parts of the U.S. see it rain longer and much harder than you get in the UK. I have seen rain here that lasted hours that brought visibility to 10' at best in front of you so every thing you can do to keep your windshield clear, the better.

·
Registered
781 Posts
[quote author=Saint link=topic=67270.msg1156413#msg1156413 date=1169155118]
[quote author=Mazda3Pride link=topic=67270.msg1156386#msg1156386 date=1169154457]

~Saint
[/quote]

[/quote]

I guess HALOGENS and HIDS....? I don't see the difference. Unless it's a grammer issue which if it is forget it. I always failed English class.
[/quote]

I was saying halogens (said first) and night (said first) since HIDs (said last) make it like daytime (said last)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts