So, I've been wrestling around with this idea for a couple of weeks, since I got my '07 Touring 3 Hatch.
I've got the 6-CD in dash. I unlocked the fuel computer. I've gotten my Sirius hooked up for the most part (just waiting for the reciever to get here, so I can plug it in to my routed wires).
So, here's the question.
I have my Sony Xplod MP3-player (with front aux-in) still in my old car. I'm debating whether I should replace my stock head unit, and then be able to use the extra space in the head unit's console area for placement of my Sirius receiver, or not.
Basically, I keep coming to a draw when counting the pro's and con's, and wanted anyone else's opinions on what would be the best thing to do.
If I keep the stock radio:
- Maintain the steering wheel controls (which I hardly ever even use, cuz I think it's easier to just reach over and press the buttons or spin the dial.
- Keep the fuel computer and display working correctly (which I like, because it's nice to know while driving what my current MPG are, and I can adjust my speed to maximize it and it helps me remember to be more conservative in acceleration most of the time, because I don't like seeing it say '6.2 mpg' ever. lol.)
- 6 CDs is cool, and it's nice to have it in there, just because it's something special (but really, 6 CDs probably is just about equal to one MP3 CD, and my Sony's a lot easier to deal with in terms of filing through songs and albums on the CD).
- If I don't put it in the 3, I'll leave my radio in my old car for selling it, and that *should* add a good chunk of value to the selling price versus trying to sell the car with no radio at all.
- I lose the console AUX-input that would go to run my Sirius and my iPod, and instead, I would be stuck with having a wire that comes out of the front of the head unit in order to play my AUX devices through the 3.5mm.
If I replace the stock with my Sony:
- I can play all my MP3 CDs that I had from before I got this car. As stated earlier, I'd prefer this to the 6-CD feature of the stock.
- That will really open up the space in the dash where the stock radio is and give me an ideal place to put my Sirius One reciever.
- If/when I decide to put in an amp and my 2 10" subs that I have, the Sony is probably better cut out for the job (at least, I think it would be).
- The radio's mostly red, which would maintain the nice look of the red-based interior lighting of the car.
- I would lost the cool accent lighting of all the little LCDs in the current head unit, with the way they turn different ways.
So, based on these things, and any of your own experience with a similar decision, can anyone give me some advice on what they think I should do, and maybe give me any other insights or recommendations of options that I may have overseen so far?