Mazda3 Forums banner

Where to mount?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had the Valentine1 for a few weeks now and it is up top to the left of the rear view mirror. I read from V1 that higher is better for both radar and laser. But I just read on RadarBusters that lower is better for laser and there was insignificant difference for radar so they say to mount low.

I want to get the most out of this detector and I love it so far. I am just doubtful of my full laser protection, as radar seems to work great.

Where do you suggest?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
When I had the V1 mounted far left and top corner, seemed to work just fine. Having a known expensive detector always had me hiding it out of sight as most theifs know the design and what they can pawn it for....reason why mine is gone since its never totally out of sight. Now I have some Silverbullet peice of crap that actually works good but no directional arrows- I miss that.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=MattJackson86 link=topic=71417.msg1255839#msg1255839 date=1173336561]
So I have had the Valentine1 for a few weeks now and it is up top to the left of the rear view mirror. I read from V1 that higher is better for both radar and laser. But I just read on RadarBusters that lower is better for laser and there was insignificant difference for radar so they say to mount low.

I want to get the most out of this detector and I love it so far. I am just doubtful of my full laser protection, as radar seems to work great.

Where do you suggest?
[/quote]High and to left of mirror. If you are getting your laser alert your already screwed so it doesn't matter anyways. if you want laser protection be prepared to shell out the big $

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=71417.msg1255891#msg1255891 date=1173340194]
[quote author=MattJackson86 link=topic=71417.msg1255839#msg1255839 date=1173336561]

Where do you suggest?
[/quote]High and to left of mirror. If you are getting your laser alert your already screwed so it doesn't matter anyways. if you want laser protection be prepared to shell out the big $
[/quote]
+1

Laser is too hard to detect so if your detecter is detecting it you are also detecting your up coming ticket. So put the detecter where it will work best for radar, up high.

·
Registered
88 Posts
+2
Doesn't matter for laser and radar is such a broad wave that it'll hit anything. Put it somewhere that you can see it clearly and reach it easy.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
valentine 1 hardwired up high to the right of the rear view mirror ftw!
then get the remote display and put that down low in a reachable spot.
the V1 detector works like a charm and has already saved me 3 times since I bought it 2 months ago and I've only driven 400miles since installing it. If ya speed often and dont realize it, its must have investment.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah, from what I have read, it makes absolutely no difference where you mount it.....within reason. So, I have mine low and center. Its the easiest for MY visibility and works just fine. As for nay-sayers on cheap laser detection, I beg to differ. I have "high-end" cobra model, which is still relatively inexpensive and have avoided a number of laser tickets b/c of early detection. Maybe me detector is a freak of nature or something.

·
Registered
46 Posts
[quote author=JustROLLIN link=topic=71417.msg1262257#msg1262257 date=1173674996]
I have "high-end" cobra model, which is still relatively inexpensive and have avoided a number of laser tickets b/c of early detection. Maybe me detector is a freak of nature or something.
[/quote]

Cobras are great for Laser detection, it's the radar detection that leaves something to be desired IMO.

I have my 8500 mounted high because it gives it a much better view of the road ahead while a low mount would probably just hit the F150 in front of me. If you are worried about laser get Veil, otherwise a laser hit while you're speeding will just mean you're getting a ticket unless you're lucky and get scatter from a car ahead.

·
Registered
191 Posts
[quote author=iseeanonymous link=topic=71417.msg1262330#msg1262330 date=1173678776]
[quote author=JustROLLIN link=topic=71417.msg1262257#msg1262257 date=1173674996]
I have "high-end" cobra model, which is still relatively inexpensive and have avoided a number of laser tickets b/c of early detection. Maybe me detector is a freak of nature or something.
[/quote]

Cobras are great for Laser detection, it's the radar detection that leaves something to be desired IMO.

I have my 8500 mounted high because it gives it a much better view of the road ahead while a low mount would probably just hit the F150 in front of me. If you are worried about laser get Veil, otherwise a laser hit while you're speeding will just mean you're getting a ticket unless you're lucky and get scatter from a car ahead.
[/quote]

Does anyone have any information with actual data showing that a detector mounted high will have early detection of K and Ka bands. I was under the impression that objects like cars and trucks will allow enough of the wave around it for early detection. But, if people have some real data showing otherwise, I might have to move mine.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=JustROLLIN link=topic=71417.msg1263792#msg1263792 date=1173745843]
[quote author=iseeanonymous link=topic=71417.msg1262330#msg1262330 date=1173678776]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Does anyone have any information with actual data showing that a detector mounted high will have early detection of K and Ka bands. I was under the impression that objects like cars and trucks will allow enough of the wave around it for early detection. But, if people have some real data showing otherwise, I might have to move mine.
[/quote]It doesn't matter at all really. If you have a Bel/X50 or V1 all of them will give you amazing detection either low or high. I mount mine high because it's more stealth. Alot of times people will use you as a radar shield if they see you have the best RD. Now if you are using that cobra or whistler junk you mise well mount it higher to try and save your ass

·
Registered
191 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=71417.msg1264271#msg1264271 date=1173762005]
[quote author=JustROLLIN link=topic=71417.msg1263792#msg1263792 date=1173745843]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]It doesn't matter at all really. If you have a Bel/X50 or V1 all of them will give you amazing detection either low or high. I mount mine high because it's more stealth. Alot of times people will use you as a radar shield if they see you have the best RD. Now if you are using that cobra or whistler junk you mise well mount it higher to try and save your ass
[/quote]

Call it junk all ya want, but I have actually had very good luck with the "junk." ::Shrugs:: Guess I will just keep it low like I have it.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I know its junk because I've had all of em. I went from a whistler to the cobra with the compass and SWS and stuff, then I got a solo 2. Now I have a X50 and a SR-7+. Sure the cobra worked great, but only in towns with outdated guns.

·
Registered
191 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=71417.msg1266182#msg1266182 date=1173842257]
I know its junk because I've had all of em. I went from a whistler to the cobra with the compass and SWS and stuff, then I got a solo 2. Now I have a X50 and a SR-7+. Sure the cobra worked great, but only in towns with outdated guns.
[/quote]

Well, I guess we will agree to disagree here. I live in Minneapolis. I doubt we have outdated guns, but honestly I dont know. Also, I have not used many other detectors, so I may be clueless as to how good they really get. But, it does just fine for me. I have had a cobra over the past 6 years and have no speeding tickets on my record. "Knocks on wood."

·
Registered
46 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=71417.msg1266182#msg1266182 date=1173842257]
[/quote]

My roommate has a Cobra. It works quite well for him, mainly because the NCHP hasn't really updated thier guns until very recently, however he's been asking a lot of questions about my X50 lately. :lol:

·
Registered
382 Posts
i had to cobras and both broke on me. have a beltronics now. im guessing the areas i drive dont have speed traps alot cuz it only warned me one time when it turned out to be an actual cop.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
I have a cordless radar and have had it both high and low. It picked up the same bands on a daily basis in both positions for what it's worth. I think the idea of better range with mounting location does not apply as much as it used to with the start of K and Ka bands. I pick up laser and pulse on bands everytime also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts