Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wrecked my car last week and the seat back airbag went off. so in my est its gonna be like $1500 installed for a new one. so instead i would order some sparco seats for about the same price but the dealer told me that if i dont plug in the airbag sensor that all the airbags turn off. does anyone know if this is true or if there is a way to work around it. thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats my question. the seat has its own airbag. it has a plug under the seat. if i unplug the seat airbag the dealer told me that it would turn all my airbags off and i dont want that. i was wondering if i unplug the factory seat and replace it with a aftermarket seat without built in airbags will my others bags still work

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
That plug isn't just for the side-impact airbags built into the seat. It also carries the signal from the weight sensor in the seat. The normal airbags (the ones that come out of the steering wheel) use that weight sensor to decide how fast and how hard to deploy.

Disconnecting that sensor is probably what disables the other airbags. Has anyone tried moving that sensor over to an aftermarket seat and recalibrating it?

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
[quote author=bearda link=topic=137980.msg2974451#msg2974451 date=1236134837]
That plug isn't just for the side-impact airbags built into the seat. It also carries the signal from the weight sensor in the seat. The normal airbags (the ones that come out of the steering wheel) use that weight sensor to decide how fast and how hard to deploy.

Disconnecting that sensor is probably what disables the other airbags. Has anyone tried moving that sensor over to an aftermarket seat and recalibrating it?
[/quote]

I don't see why this couldn't be done relatively easy.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
i had a friend move it over in a different car and it worked just fine.... dont know any specifics on how he did it or if he ran into any issues, but seems to be ok...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Wait...we have airbags in our seat??? :shock:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
WHere is it?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=AFcadet link=topic=137980.msg2975459#msg2975459 date=1236187379]
WHere is it?
[/quote]

Pops out the left side of the driver's seat, toward to door. There should be a little tag in the seam of the seat saying SRS or something like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looks like the ms protege just uses a 2.2ohm 1/2watt resistor in the plug and it tells the computer its connected

1 - 13 of 13 Posts