Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering how a hollowed out (de-Catted) OEM Mid-pipe would fair against a race/test pipe like the StreetUnit or Corksport unit?

I mean if I can get most of the performance, still look stock, and get someone's used mid-pipe cheap, wouldn't that be ideal? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Remember if you do this, and in the future you need to sell the car or it reach the 5 year time that your car need smog check, you may need the stock downpipe setup. This is due to it might fail the emission test, this would be hard for you to find a stock downpipe for that. I would rather save some money for a month and buy the aftermarket testpipe and have my stock one kept for future need on emission test.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=shadow1077 link=topic=135445.msg2917607#msg2917607 date=1233943914]
Remember if you do this, and in the future you need to sell the car or it reach the 5 year time that your car need smog check, you may need the stock downpipe setup. This is due to it might fail the emission test, this would be hard for you to find a stock downpipe for that. I would rather save some money for a month and buy the aftermarket testpipe and have my stock one kept for future need on emission test.
[/quote]

I guess you didn't read my post completely, but I would buy a 2nd mid-pipe off the classifieds and deCat that one. This way I keep mine untouched for future smog tests or when I sell it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
:shock: oops you are right for me not reading the part you are buying another used DP haha.

How much going to cost you to buy a used DP which i know is not easy to find, and convert it to straight through. If it is close to 150 bucks, then ill just buy an aftermarket DP.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have found that in the past with my mustangs that a hollowed out cat will flow better than a regular cat. :chuckles: but not as good as an offroad pipe. :shock: if you think about flow the offroad pipe is a nice smooth and even pipe. example- an off road pipe starts at 3" and continues as 3" to the end of the pipe. now the hollowed cat starts at say 2" then jumps up to 4" and back down to 2". this 4" section is much larger and gives the exhaust a "chamber" to flow into. so instead of a nice smooth flow pattern the hollowed out cat can create turbulence in the exhaust stream. :( Now with all of that said. Will you be able to fell the power loss created by this turbulent exhaust..........nope. :) so go for it and let us know the results for you. :Hi5:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts