Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you do if a bird gets your car and you're not going to be able to wash it for a little while? It doesn't have to look perfect-- just want a solution that won't corrode the finish until I can give it a proper wash. Ideas that have crossed my mind, but I don't know if these are safe... paper towel with water or dish soap? baby wipes? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
^ I agree... I keep a bottle of it in my car during the summer :lol:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Want something better? 2:1 ratio of Eagle One Wipe & Shine and Duragloss Auquawax. I mix 16oz of Wipe & Shine with 8 oz of Auquawax. The result is a fantastic quick detailer, with just enough wax/sealant that makes the car "pop" like no other instant detailer that I have ever used.

Shu, I know you love Meguiar's, but you really need to try this mix. Zero streaks, even in direct sunlight and the pop is incredible.

Darryl

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Hmm....Sounds interesting Darryl. I actually have some Aquawax that I bought right before the onset of winter. I'll look for the E1 W&S. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'd seen some "bug remover" sprays at Target and all had instructions about washing the product off the car after using it. Seemed to suggest that not washing it off would be bad for the finish. So the Meguiars is ok to wipe off without rinsing?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
http://www.tarminator.com/

Actually wal-mart has a portable bug and crap remover that comes with a sponge and some cleaner. It'll easily fit in the glove box and is something I'd get.

As for me, I keep a good solid coat of polymer/wax on my car so bird crap comes off with a little water and a MF towel.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=pan2 link=topic=69522.msg1208177#msg1208177 date=1171496388]
So the Meguiars is ok to wipe off without rinsing?
[/quote]

Yep, it's a simple spray and wipe!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Mequires as stated above, OR before Mequires had all these hot little items, I used to use glass plus (no ammonia) and a microfiber towel for the occassional bird turd or a quick detail.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I keep a small spray bottle of denatured alcohol and some wipes in my car to take care of little messes like this and it works. Simple Green works well, too.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Be careful with glass, alcohol, or APC's products on paint. Those will remove any wax or sealants that are on the surface as well as the bird droppings.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yep, alcohol or soaps will definitely take the wax off that spot and you'll need to clean/wax it ASAP.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thats why I only buy Glass Plus. It about $1.50 at Walmart and is ammonia-free. Great to use on my tinted windows. I wont pay the $4-5 they want at the Auto stores for ammonia-free cleaners.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use Meg's quick detailer spray. I flood the area and a MF towel then slowly without pressure blot and remove the bird poo...use a clean MF towel to finish. You are just doing a small area and its OK until you can clean the whole car. Get bird poop off ASAP as it can and will etch into your clear and then the paint layer if left alone. Depending on what the bird has just eaten and the acids produced the etching could start right away.
Al

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a bottle of water in my car, which I run over the bird crap, rub it with a finger till it's gone and wash my hand with more water or a wet nap or something.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I Usually just get the crap off the nest time i wash it. OR, Wet toilet paper works well. I have only waxed my cars 1 or 2 times at MOST per year. Wash them once per week in the summer and whenever it aint freezin in the winter and then i only use the automatics...My car is an 04 and looks great! Sometimes i think we overdo the "paint"care care....Always seems to be important things to do in life...Work, family..etc.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=69522.msg1220266#msg1220266 date=1172030242]
Sometimes i think we overdo the "paint"care care....Always seems to be important things to do in life...Work, family..etc.
[/quote]

Not everybody is like you. Some people like to do a little more when it comes to taking care of their cars. Also, just because some one likes to spend time taking care of their cars doesn't mean they aren't or can't make time for work or family.

Like I said in another thread, if everybody wanted to just do the bare minimum when it comes to car care, there wouldn't be threads like this. Cars are typically the 2nd biggest purchase people make in their lives (a house is the biggest). I for one want make sure that I'm taking care of my "investment" (and I use that term loosely).

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=69522.msg1220266#msg1220266 date=1172030242]
I Usually just get the crap off the nest time i wash it. OR, Wet toilet paper works well. I have only waxed my cars 1 or 2 times at MOST per year. Wash them once per week in the summer and whenever it ain't freezin in the winter and then i only use the automatics...My car is an 04 and looks great! Sometimes i think we overdo the "paint"care care....Always seems to be important things to do in life...Work, family..etc.
[/quote]

You sure do like to take a minimalist approach when it comes to your 3. :?

Darryl

1 - 20 of 49 Posts