Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started autox-ing (my second event this coming sunday) so I was wondering how long will my stock tires last?

·
Registered
93 Posts
The real question is how long will you let the performance of your stock tires hold you back.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny. It's onyl going to be my second time around so I'm sure it's not holding me back at all...for now ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
You would be surprised at how big of a difference the right tires can make. I did my first event on the stock summer tires that came on mt MS3. By all accounts they are considered a decent high performance tire. I picked up some huge gains by going with an extreme performance tire that was 20mm wider on wider wheels. Correct me if I am wrong but don't the regular 3's come with all season tires?

·
Banned
882 Posts
After my second event my stock RSA's were almost completly gone... but thats just me.

At my third event I was on Hoosiers (First event of the next season).

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=SoraNezumi link=topic=135513.msg2918677#msg2918677 date=1233971727]
After my second event my stock RSA's were almost completly gone... but thats just me.

At my third event I was on Hoosiers (First event of the next season).
[/quote]

Are you serious? So after the second event, the tires were no longer good for the road??? How many miles did you have on them already beforehand? How many runs did you get total for the first two events that you went?

·
Registered
75 Posts
just for fun, my first event killed half my stock tires with 6 runs, '07 MZ3 Hatch. Thankfully the next event i had Falkens to run. By fall, i had to replace the stock tires and my car only had 10K on it. Needless to say, i was not easy on the tires. The car is just way to much fun to drive.

·
Banned
882 Posts
Yea, I think I had about 12K on the car when I replaced them the first time. I've got just over 60K on the car now and I'm on my 6th set of tires... :shock:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm, now I'm worried now. I've just started this and I'm not too sure whether I wanna start splurging on new tires yet - it seems like a pretty expensive hobby to pursue, at least for me right now. I just wanna take my stock car and have a little fun with it.

Are my worries justified? Will the tires be ok after my second event? I bought my car new and they only have 6.5k miles on them on + 1 auto-x event. Thanks!

·
Banned
882 Posts
I was running on a abrasive surface... and I drive like an a-hole. If your going out to have fun don't worry about it.... I would have had to replace my tires at 15K even if I never auto-x'ed.

·
Registered
518 Posts
On my stock tires, I did 3 autox events, 1 400mile road tour and I DD my car for work 30kmiles a year (probably 20k on the stock tires) and they lasted 1 summer which was about 20k miles maybe 24...

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I'm on my stock tires that I got last May after I bought the car. They have roughly 15k miles on them. I'm coming up on my 4th event soon, and I haven't noticed any real wear yet. Granted, I haven't really checked....
The treck to the track is a long one (about 50-55 miles or so from home to track). PLUS, my 3 is my daily driver. I put about 200-300 miles on her every week! I bought the car with about 50k miles. It just hit 67,2xx this week! I'm running on Kumho Sousa (or something or other...). They're not the stock 17's, but rather a size smaller (16's) because the previous owner slapped them on for some reason...

I'm with you on not wanting to have to spend a whole of money on auto-x. +1 on just wanting something fun to do with my 3! :p

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
[quote author=chodaboy1980 link=topic=135513.msg2917713#msg2917713 date=1233945861]
The real question is how long will you let the performance of your stock tires hold you back.
[/quote]

lmao!

i went about 3 months of ax on them and they were just okay after that, as in i would need to get new tires in the next one or two months. I was also over driving the car so that added extra wear.

·
Registered
217 Posts
[quote author=chodaboy1980 link=topic=135513.msg2918222#msg2918222 date=1233957040]
You would be surprised at how big of a difference the right tires can make. I did my first event on the stock summer tires that came on mt MS3. By all accounts they are considered a decent high performance tire. I picked up some huge gains by going with an extreme performance tire that was 20mm wider on wider wheels. Correct me if I am wrong but don't the regular 3's come with all season tires?
[/quote]

Some of that is likely placebo effect. I'm as fast or faster on the stock MS3 Bridgestones compared to any other high-performance tire I've run so far, including 245s on FD wheels. Now if you're talking about RT-615, Star Specs, REO1Rs, then yeah, there's speed to be gained, but the RE050As are damned good tires for OEM and switching to such soft tires on a FWD car this heavy is going to get expensive *very* quickly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your tires if inflated properly between 36 and 40 should last you at least a 10 autox events. I have run 5 autoxs and have not noticed any real damage to them, a buddy of mine raced for a season and his oem tires lasted 28k miles, learn how to drive the car and the change the tires. If you go to a race tire to soon you will loose some of the feeling for the car, Just my dos centavos.

·
Registered
217 Posts
[quote author=magujia link=topic=135513.msg2975701#msg2975701 date=1236192992]
If you go to a race tire to soon you will loose some of the feeling for the car, Just my dos centavos.
[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly. The less grip you have, the more you can learn about your car. Once you know how it behaves at and beyond its limits, you can start improving grip and making those limits higher.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But you guys have speeds, I think your tires should be better than the stock Goodyear Eagle RSAs right?

I just compared what my tires look like to a photo of the brand new tire and there is some noticeable wear and I've only been to 2 events and have 7500 miles of standard driving on them:

Front:

Back:

Stock:

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote author=Tiny link=topic=135513.msg3003514#msg3003514 date=1237436370]
Looks perfectly fine to me.

I checked my tires Sunday at my auto-x event, and they still have give or take 85-90% tread left! ;)
[/quote]

Are those on stock tires? Do you run in HS? And what tire pressures are you using at the auto-x events?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts