Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, ive always wondered this question, and I want to try and search for an answer before I boost my mz3. With a turbo controller you can adjust the amount of psi, but my question is if you could adjust the psi down to 0, and the car still run perfectly fine. Meaning your not running your turbo at the time. Theoretically this makes sense, but I just wanted to find out for sure.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
The turbo still helps push air into the engine with the wastegate set at 0psi. When it's in the exhaust path it's always working, just to a much smaller extent. Generally the minimum boost you can run is determined by your wastegate spring (i.e. an 8psi spring), and the boost controller helps you up the boost over that minimum amount.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
agreed

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dont think you would be able to do it by traditional means. The waistgate would have to be huge for the turbo to not spool at all, further more tuning would be... interesting. Especially if you are looking at being able to run a decent amount of boost when you want the boost on.

I'm not sure how much boost you would be able to run with a 0psi WG spring though. I know that there are limits like if you have a 7psi spring with a boost controller it is usually only safe to run about 14psi before you need a new spring.

Lastely, why would you want to do this? I mean if you have a well designed and somewhat progressive setup, when you drive conservativly you dont even get into boost anyway. Yet when you tromp on it the boost is there waiting... whats the difference really?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts