Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't see why not but, unless you get a good deal on some one elses old stock units it is a better investment to buy aftermarket and bulletproof your bottom end more a simple piston and rod assembly from a good manufacturer will be more than enough for any amount of boost which is the only reason one would swap out internals from a mazdaspeed3 because the speeed3 has a turbo and installing those internals on a non turbo engine would make you lose power it all depends I have not seen many stock mazdaspeed3 engine parts floating around good luck

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
yes, same blocks.

however MS3 is 9.5:1 compression, where as most "turbo compression" pistons for the regular 3 you would get are 8.8:1 or abouts...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is the response I got on the forum where im supposed to be buying the parts.

My sentence : dont know where you got your info from. But the 2.3 MZR motor and the 2.3 DISI MZR motor do in fact have the same exact bore and stroke.

The Response: the bore size where the rods meet the crank is not the same, nor is the bore size. not talking about the cylinder bore and rod stroke. i am talking about the line bore. think about it - if the cylinder bore and rod stroke is the same but the part numbers for the block and crank are not the same, there are other differences which prevent from being to swap cranks. another way to know the cranks will not simply interchange is looking at rods for either N/A or turbo car and comparing them. the bore size of where the rod mates to the crank is not the same between the two rods. the length of the rod is not the same between the two. the parts are not interchangeable.

The Next Response: The internals from the two motors are not compatible at all.
The mazdaspeed crank is much larger. You might be able to Line bore the regular block enough to bolt the mazdaspeed crank in, but that is assuming the main bearings are in the same place along with the balance shafts and all that crap. To me its worthless to find out since the chances you are going to break a steel crank and any power level these cars will make is 0.
Also mazda does not use cast iron cranks. Every crank they have is steel.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
stock bore on the mz3 is 87.5, bored over they are 88.

ms3 pistons come stock bore or bored over by .02...

dunno bout the crank and such, i would assume they are the same bottom end...

·
Registered
501 Posts
i don't know what those guys on that forum are talking about the MS3 has the same Bore and stroke as a regular N/A mazda3 it is the same basic internals just an added turbo and ignition and fuel but mechanically they are the same and if a ranger crank can fit in our cars then a ms3 crank and rods and such should be the same deal. and they don't know crap because the bore is the same all the way down the cylinder it doesn't change when it meets the crank just buy the parts and prove them wrong the people to trust on this stuff is the people on this forum because most of us know a lot about cars.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well they thought that they could throw a mz3 cosworth billet crankshaft in their cars so they called cosworth and was told that the focus crank would not work in their cars.

the only reason that i myself can think that would make that not work is the size of the bore on the rods themselves is larger therefore if you wanted to use a focus crank you would need focus internals and in my situation if i wanted to use a mazdaspeed 3 crank i would need to use mazdaspeed 3 internals.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heres another depressing reply

Them: the main caps have a completely different line bore between the two, meaning the crank will either not fit at all or will be too small inside the main caps

you're better off just getting a speed block if you want to run a speed crankshaft

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
LOL cosworth told them that? the cosworth crank will so fit... it's a standard duratec block... if the parts work in a focus they work in the mz3... they must be nub.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=Verto link=topic=138680.msg2994335#msg2994335 date=1237061895]
LOL cosworth told them that? the cosworth crank will so fit... it's a standard duratec block... if the parts work in a focus they work in the mz3... they must be nub.
[/quote]

they = MS3 owners not MZ3
so cosworth said that the billet focus crank will not work in the MS3 block.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
in a situation like this you can talk about it all day, or...

clearly nobody has done it. somebody has to be the first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts