Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my M3 Sedan, but I've noticed that it's pretty noisy on the highways (road and wind noise). I'm going to install some sound deadening materials, but I have a couple of questions.

I have my stock stereo, and won't be upgrading it at all. Therefore, I don't think I need any around the trunk (as most people who do this install the material in order to get rid of rattles in their trunk from the sub). I'm thinking of installing it in all four door panels, but how far should I go? I've read reviews of people putting it on the inside of the exterior section of the door, as well as on the inside panel (they're essentially doubling it up). Is this worth it? Will I really notice a difference?

Another questions has to do with the road noise. Since most of the noise comes from the wheel wells, should I insulate the inside of the wells as well (on the interior of the car, obviously)? What about the firewall, is that worth doing?

I think what I'm trying to avoid is putting in a bunch of work insulating my car, but not getting the areas that will make the most difference.

As I stated before, my goal is not to insulate my car in order for my stereo to sound better. I'm very happy with the way that the stereo sounds right now, I'm more looking to reduce a lot of the outside ambient noise.

Thanks,

·
Registered
268 Posts
The biggest source of noise is your tires, simply put. I went from tires that had been used for 60k miles to brand new ones and it was incredible how quiet it was. 10k miles later, I put eDead 40 inside all my doors and it made quite the difference at lower speeds. When you're on the highway the noise isn't going to be as bad, but not lexus quiet.

I also put poly-fil inside my doors but I can't recommend doing this... It made a big difference but i'm probably going to run into problems down the road and have to remove it lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have to agree with that most of the noise is gonna come from the tires. i would insulate the doors and around the rear wheel wells. also which also makes a huge difference is doing the whole floor pan and transmission hump. check out cascade audio there vb2hd is great i used it on my doors and it works great and is such a nicer install forms to any shape like it was vacuumed to the surface. i did this to all four doors and did the outer door skins with some of there stuff called v-maxx and wow what a difference the doors are much more solid and noise is cut down by about 72%. also i applied vb2hd to the floor pan then on top of that added there vb4 which is part closed cell foam and rubber mat and that took away all the noise from the floorpan.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
This is on my list too. How many square feet would you buy to do the inside / outside door, full floor and hatch area? Thanks.

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ For any of you thinking about doing this, this link is a must read.

As far as effectiveness, under the rear seat and trunk makes a huge difference (atleast it did for me). Next would be floor pan and then doors. Doing the doors makes a big improvement as far as SQ, but considering you're not upgrading the stock setup, your SQ is going to suck anyways.

Sound deadener such as RAAMmat, Dynamat, etc, is used to dampen body panels so that the dont resonate. This does not mean that its an effective way to kill road noise... its effective to prevent vibrations caused by speakers. What you need to kill road noise effectively is a closed cell foam such as Ensolite. Both products I've listed can be found at RAAMaudio.com .

·
Registered
268 Posts
That link is hella old too. I did all my doors with 1 roll of eDead, which is 30 sq ft. It was a fairly thorough job too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
def check out cascadeaudio.com not well known but best stuff in the biz i useed one bulk pack for the doors of v-maxx and one bulk pack of vb-2hd def best way to go any info let me know

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
[quote author=Tee link=topic=137758.msg2972533#msg2972533 date=1236056184]
That link is hella old too.
[/quote]

Does that make it any less relevant? Have the properties of sound changed in less than 4 years? It seems to me that all of the products listed are unchanged, so what difference does the date make?

·
Registered
268 Posts
eDead doesn't use asphault anymore (pure butyl) and comes in a variety of thicknesses. RAAM mat is ridiculously sticky now, and Brown bread is now B-Quiet ultimate, among other things.

So to answer your question...yes, it does. Companies do update their products after 4 years.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
[quote author=sdemo45 link=topic=137758.msg2973318#msg2973318 date=1236099646]
[quote author=Tee link=topic=137758.msg2972533#msg2972533 date=1236056184]
That link is hella old too.
[/quote]

Does that make it any less relevant? Have the properties of sound changed in less than 4 years? It seems to me that all of the products listed are unchanged, so what difference does the date make?
[/quote]

Didn't you get that memo??

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
Pshh.. those will never print out right.. that copier is a piece of crap. Plus, the guy with the stapler was moved to the basement so we're screwed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The eDead 40 and 80 are on sale right now, so I was contemplating the same thing. Thanks for the closed-cell foam feedback for noise reduction, that's my central aim. I think I have some of the goop still around too, so sounds like it might best be applied in the wells, possibly the doors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts