Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had a few cars that I've put aftermarket wheels on, and in case I've had different results.

My own car used to be a Mustang until I got the Corvette, and my wife previously had an xB until getting the Mazda 3.

With the Mustang and the Corvette, I've only purchased aftermarket wheels designed specifically for those cars, so the fit was about as good as factory without the need for a hub kit or anything like that.

But with the xB, I didn't see anything (except the TRD wheels) that were hub-centric, so I ended up getting some general wheels that fit with a hub/ring kit or whatever. They seemed decent, but no matter what, the aftermarket wheels never seemed perfect. I realize it could have been any number of things, including bent rim or whatever, but each time it was checked out things looked ok. But the steering wheel was never smooth at high speeds.

So for those of you that put aftermarket wheels on the Mazda3...are there any out there that are hub-centric, and if not, have you had any type of issues with the steering vibrations or whatever?

One of the big reasons we got rid of the xB for the 3 was the ride comfort and whatnot, so I'd hate to put aftermarket wheels on it and end up with another type of vibration issue, or it just not feeling as good as it does now...

Thanks.

·
Registered
991 Posts
yeah i had aftermarket 18s on mine way back with hub rings. the hub bore was too big on the wheel something like 73.1 while our car is 67.1. at speeds over 70mph my steering was vibrating bad. i aligned it too.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I have had 3 different sets of 18" wheels, and 1 set of 17" wheels for my MZ3, and I have not had a problem with any of them. All 4 sets needed hub-rings, and all 4 sets were smooth all the way up to 100mph.

The key is of course a good balance job, but equally as important, is to torque the lugs yourself and not let the tire guys zap the lugs on with 130ftlbs of torque in a circle pattern.

I torque my wheels in a criss-cross pattern and I torque them in 2 steps, 65ftlb's and finally 85ftlb's. I know some people will tell you it doesn't matter, but it does...........Big time.

Years back on my Dakota R/T, I had new tires put on the stock 17"x9" wheels and I had nothing but problems with steering shake. I took it back over and over, and it still shook above 80mph. I had a guy on the Dodge forum tell me to loosen and re-torque the wheels like I described above, and voila, problem fixed. This will also add significant life to your rotors as well.

Darryl

·
Registered
822 Posts
My snow rims (Sport Editions from Tirerack) have hub rings and I've had no problems with vibrations so far. I used them all last winter and have had the rims on since Thanksgiving for this winter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
Some of the responses above suggest that there are rubbish on the internet that one should read widely.
Hub rings are a MUST (after market wheels are UN-likely to be 67.1mm @ the wheel-hub) and Hub rings must be a perfect fit.
Also the material should be metal (NOT plastic) as it need to support the weight of your car, see link below.

How do i know... I stuffed up.
Good luck.

Broken wheel studs - why spigot / hub rings are so important with aftermarket wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts