Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you use the manual mode?

After I discovered it last week, I've been using it probably 90% of the time (I don't use it when I'm in heavy traffic or when I want to drive or too tired).

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I use it 10% of the time.

I find that the engine revs more than it needs to when I use manumatic mode. :lol:

So only when I want to "have fun".

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=71671.msg1261677#msg1261677 date=1173655075]
1%, I find it kinda worthless..
I like the automatic transmission concept.
[/quote]

That's about how much i use it. I like just putting the car in gear and not worrying about it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah I probably use it 5% of the time. Though maybe less because once the shifter begins to stick I just throw the damn thing in Auto mode and drive on. I figured out today that when it sticks...it sticks in the back position it never returns to the straight up neutral position unless I move it there. Strange...it was fine for about 4 or 5 days after I got it back from the dealer (intake replace and to check out this sticky issue) they said they didn't find any sticking and that I should drive it there when it happens and take them for a ride...yeah that's convienant lol. Guess I'll have to take the damn thing apart and find the problem then plop it on their desk and say "hear is the problem...if you would have atleast taken it apart to check things you would have found"

·
Registered
139 Posts
I usually only use it in the snow when I need engine braking. Beyond that I don't see much use for it. I think the ATX does a pretty good job at finding the gear I need on its own.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I use it about 70% of the time. I actually achieved my best ever gas mileage using it 100% for the entire tank. I use it depending on my mood.

Darryl

·
Registered
34 Posts
100% of the time. I get 1 - 1.5 better mpg with it. But I'm anal about mpg, I never go above 65 and I draft behind semis when I can.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
i use it when i need to start off faster or over take stuff like that. when i am in 4 on the highway if i need to gain speed fast i drop it to 3rd, speed up n move back to 4th

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
i use it in the city mostly, when i need to get out of tight spots, won't have to worry about that too much now as i'm going Turbo. so i'd say 50% of the time. very helpful in the snow though i might add.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Whenever I need to go fast without the automatic mode being economical. The ability to shift near the redline and stay in the powerband is really nice and I don't see how it's worthless.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=ziegs2020 link=topic=71671.msg1266968#msg1266968 date=1173886687]
Whenever I need to go fast without the automatic mode being economical. The ability to shift near the redline and stay in the powerband is really nice and I don't see how it's worthless.
[/quote]
If there are no modifications... there would be NO benifit in using the "manual" mode. Actually it IS faster leaving it in auto and applying more throttle. The whole fable of the "sport at" to gain performance is just that a fable. When consumer reports did the 3 test they found it did better in full auto. So, YES it is basically worthless to use the manual mode unless it gets your rocks off for nothing.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=71671.msg1268043#msg1268043 date=1173917520]
[quote author=ziegs2020 link=topic=71671.msg1266968#msg1266968 date=1173886687]
[/quote]
If there are no modifications... there would be NO benifit in using the "manual" mode. Actually it IS faster leaving it in auto and applying more throttle. The whole fable of the "sport at" to gain performance is just that a fable. When consumer reports did the 3 test they found it did better in full auto. So, YES it is basically worthless to use the manual mode unless it gets your rocks off for nothing.[/quote]

^^ wrong again.

the need to go as fast as possible, in a straight line, from a stop, is seldom important in the real life driving, unless you're constantly racing from stop light to stop light. not exactly the strength of a stock 3 anyways...

manu-matic allows you to stay in the gear you want when darting thru traffic, obstacles, cones or curves.
it's the low to mid range quickness, nimbles handling and great brakes that makes the 3 fun to drive and keeping the car in the gear you want allows the driver to take more advantage of those traits.

btwwdystfu

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
i use it about 30-40% of the time for kicks

·
Registered
980 Posts
80% of the time. When I'm tired and don't feel like driving with spirit, then it's D mode.

But then again if you step on the gas really hard, it's going to override your current gear especially if you're in 4th using M, so when you want to go fast there's really no difference between using M and D. It's going to shift by itself :p

dL

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
the primary benefit is that it won't upshift out of the powerband when you lift off the gas briefly to dodge the old lady in the sentra. second is the ability to use engine braking, either to assist the brakes or for fun (especially if you like to hear your exhaust go off).

·
Registered
76 Posts
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=71671.msg1268394#msg1268394 date=1173929510]

manu-matic allows you to stay in the gear you want when darting thru traffic, obstacles, cones or curves.
it's the low to mid range quickness, nimbles handling and great brakes that makes the 3 fun to drive and keeping the car in the gear you want allows the driver to take more advantage of those traits.

btwwdystfu
[/quote]

20%. Mostly in the city to change lanes. Like John_in_the_LBC says, it's great that the tranny doesn't upshift when I need the boost. It's better than flooring the gas and waiting for the AT to think, then downshift. I get much better control.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts