Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the rear coil springs on my 2008 Mazda 3 has snapped about 2/3 of the way up. From research here and elsewhere on the internet it looks like total failure of these springs is not common.

I installed new rear shocks about 500 miles ago to replace worn OEM ones. One of the original shocks was completely failed and leaking, causing very unsettling jumping and veering behavior in the car. It was my first DIY shock job, but it went fine (minus an issue with the dreaded shock mount studs) and the car handled well afterward.

My question is: Is it more likely that a couple thousand miles on a bad shock contributed to the spring breakage (it broke on the opposite side from the totally broken shock) or is possible that something about the choice or installation of the new shocks could have caused it? I used KYB 343412 Excel-G's as replacement shocks. Or does it sound coincidental? I would hate to install new coil springs only for this to happen again. Any experience here would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nope, these things have the rear springs fail. Corrosion at a spot with no or minimal coating due to production process, or so I've read. On my 08 both rears were replaced by the PO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts