Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 05' hatch (not garage kept) i wanna remove my side molding and my 2.3 badges do you think the paint underneath will match or will it be a noticeable difference? any advice would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
724 Posts
My guess is that it'll be fine. Usually takes more time, and neglect (not washing, waxing) for a car's paint to fade badly enough to notice. I think it's more noticable with non-metallic colors too.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, completely forgot to mention it was silver, you think that will make any difference?

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
silver? :lmao:

you wont notice anything!

Do it and stop asking questions :lol:

·
Registered
423 Posts
i have a 07 galaxy gray sedan. pulled off the molding with no problem. Same color underneath. but the car was like a month old when i did it. It MAY be different for you since your car is an older model, and the paint underneath the molding hasn't had the same environmental exposure as your overall car paint. but hey, try it and if you don't like it, you can always put it back. And good thinking, always remove your 2.3 badge when you remove the side moldings.

I know, this thread is worthles without pics. maybe tomorrow, i dont know.

i also removed the pinstripes. I didn't even need a blow dryer or similar as others said.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just finished, looks great no haze, thanks for the positive input

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd like to do that also and am waiting for warmer weather. I've read that some have use fishing line to help. Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I used dental floss.

I did my moldings on a really hot day about a week ago. No problem. Probly didn't even need the floss but it helped get things started. I then realized that I wanted to do my 2.3 emblems as well, and decided to go at it after work on a cooler day.

I broke out a heat gun (hairdryer will work) and had to run the floss all the way through beneath them, but it wasn't too hard. I stuck the emblems back on beneath my side signal indicators.

This is a great mod.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i used fishing line then i peeled whatever glue was left over with my thumb,cleaned it up with meguires spray detailer and wax, no haze or discoloration

·
Registered
143 Posts
After reading these and are related posts I took them off yesterday. I look the way it looks, simple and clean. I want to remove the 3 on the hatch, does anyone know it this is pegged like the "MAZDA" and the flying M badge?

BTW I used floss and some heat from a hairdryer and it took about 15 mins to remove all the moulding and the 2.3 badges. I wanted to leave the 2.3 badges but they looked out of place by themselves (as mentioned in one of the other threads).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yea, the 2.3 looks out of place in it's original location without the molding. I thought about putting it on the trunk opposite the "Mazda 3" badge, but after taking a quick look I didn't like it there either. I finally settled on beneath the turn signal marker. i really like it there, and I was determined keep it. I just stuck it back on using the original adhesive. I hope they don't fall off in the future.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no, the "3" isn't pegged it just pulls off, btw anyone know how to get the "M" and the "mazda" off? i wanna take them off and paint them black

1 - 17 of 17 Posts