Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The situation: Bombing down the road in my girlfriends jetta 1.8t then all of a sudden the engine overheats. All signs point to a faulty thermstat sticking. I could feel it pumping hard and not fluidly.

The question: I know its not our beloved Mazda3, but would you guys replace the pump and the thermostat? or just the thermostat?

We had the car towed to a VW dealership but we were quoted a diagnostic (hooking up scan gauge) of $150. The overall repair at a VW facility for such a simple thing is going to be out of her range but she is insisting they do the work. I want to just tell them what I want done and limit it to that. Or take it off the lot and hopefully drive it to the closest mechanic around before the engine overheats.

Thanks.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'd only change the thermostat. The pumps are simple centrifugal pumps and usually the only thing that can go wrong with them is seal leakage, which eventually takes out the bearings but will not affect pump performance until they seize. Unless your pump is weeping coolant, I'd leave it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts