Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the posts and really didn't see the question answered. I want to get a pioneer 5500 deh-p how much of a pain in the ass is going to be to have them install a new HU. Are they going to have to chop the hell out of the console. Also any ideas of what to put in the space that will be left. I'm looking to put in a 1000 watt sub and a 2000 watt amp and still trying to decide on some speakers. Any suggestions or answers to the question would be great.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I wouldn't advise it, but if you do, here is what an aftermarket HU will look like, unless you can find/do something better...........

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am looking to buy a MZ3 HB in the near future, and I came up with a solution that would retain the factoy HU.

All you need is an FM modulator to input the sound from your aftermarket HU into the factory one. This will allow you to still use the steering wheel controls and keep the nice look of the factory HU.

I have an Apline 7893 HU that I would install in the space under the AC controls (I would relocate the power outlet) and make a trim piece out of fiberglass. Sure the sound quality will diminish somewhat, but I feel that the pros outweigh the cons. That will also enable me to use my Alpine XM tuner!

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
An FM modulator? That's... pretty damn low quality solution.
Regardless, you can use steering wheel controls with aftermarket head units... there's adapters out there. Unfortunately, what you WILL lose is that LCD display.

·
Registered
18 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Regardless, you can use steering wheel controls with aftermarket head units... there's adapters out there. Unfortunately, what you WILL lose is that LCD display.
And that would still leave a huge ugle space all around the HU. But...

Does the OEM HU with six speakers and single cd have an input for a factory cd changer? If so, I'm sure there can be an adapter to plug in there with RCA inputs. That would be a sweet setup!

·
Registered
773 Posts
There is no input for a factory CD-Changer as the 6 CD-Changer replaces the single CD player in the HU. Same deal for the MP3 module.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts