Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been discussing Mazda's choice of the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tire for the 17" wheels. Not a great tire by any stretch, and not particularly good in snow for an all-season, but at least its overall quality is decent.

However the story on the 16" tires is worse. I checked them out yesterday and found them to be the Toyo Proxes A05. I believe Nissan has been using these for some time.

Toyo makes some nice tires, the A05 is not one of them. I don't believe Toyo even sells the tire through tire dealers, its purpose is to be a low-cost OEM tire. If you check out tire threads in Nissan discussion groups, you will find that many people replaced them within 5000 miles. Aggressive drivers found them to lack grip on wet roads and become rubbery in heat. Many report much improved handling on their cars with replacement tires.

If you are a non-aggressive driver, then the Toyo may work okay for you. They are said to be average in snow, tend to wear out at around 25,000-30,000 miles, and average to below average on road noise.

Has anyone seen any other tires on their 16" rims? Sometimes companies use multiple manufacturers in the same line. But I suspect with all of the 3's being made in Japan, that they will use the same tire on all 16" wheels.

Also, anyone know which tire they went with on the 15" wheels?

·
Registered
272 Posts
For N/A, ALL 15" and 16"wheels come also with Toyo Proxes.

In Europe, the Mazda3 is equipped with 15" Yokohama Aspec, 16" Bridgestone Turanza, and 17" Bridgestone Potenza.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are good Toyo Proxes tires. You have to look at the model number to see if it is one of the better or lesser ones. It is highly likely that they are all the A05, which is the worst Toyo Proxes series tire.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
NA 17", you get the lame Goodyear GSA

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Technically, the NA 17" tire is the Goodyear Eagle RS-A. While it isn't that good, it is better than the Toyo Proxes A05.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I woulda preferred the Michelin Pilots, but of course they are a hefty price.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I'd take the Potenza over that crappy RS-A.....You'll never see a guy burn rs-a tires so fast :lol:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends upon which Potenza. Some of them are quite poor.

For example the RE92 are worse than the RS-A, no way do you want those on your car. However the RE950 are very good.

I believe they classify the Potenza RE88 as an all-season, when it has almost no snow grip, worse than most summer treads.

So just because you see Bridgestone Potenza on a tire, don't assume it is a mark of quality. Most of these that are stock equipment on new cars are also junk.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Still, It's the second time I have stock RS-A on a car and a change would have been nice. No snow grip? np...that's why I have snow tires. :wink:

·
Registered
583 Posts
ashutoshsm said:
vaBooM said:
I woulda preferred the Michelin Pilots, but of course they are a hefty price.
Don't bet on that - all us Mazda6 owners who drive unlike our grandmas hate 'em!
But reviews for the Michelins have been stellar on Tire Rack. hmmm. So what do Mazda6 owners prefer then?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Umm - you have to realize that OEM versions of tires are NOT identical to what you can buy aftermarket. I don't know ehether its shoddier costruction, or slacker requirements on the part of the manufacturer.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad, but they're quite an embarassment for a car as well sprung and tight as the 6.

We've been switching to various high-performance tires. In the DC area, people have Toyo Proxes T1-S and Falken Azenis, and for those who want All Seasons - the Toyo Proxes4 and Falken ZIEX ZE-512 seem popular.

I just got a set of the Toyo T1-S - they're a smll piece of heaven. Thatisall.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The stock 6 tires suck...especially in the 17's. (Mich pilots). Getting them off your car is the greatest mod you can possibly ever do (besides FI).

I myself am using the Toyo T1-S's, which are EXCELLENT tires. Very good lateral stability, excellent rain performance, excellent dry performance, and their also extremely lightweight. As those who are aware, tire weight is more important then wheel weight when it comes to unsprung mass...especially if your running bling bling giant monster wheels.

I'll also second the falken azensis recommendation, which are much heavier tires...but the dry grip is just unbelievable. One of the grippiest tires you can possibly ever put on your car, without going to R-compounds.

The Kumo MX's are also supposedly very good, and recommended by quite a few folks.

Do note that all of the above tires are all PERFORMANCE SUMMER tires, and are not designed for mud or snow driving, and can/will become quite dangerous in lower temps.

If your in any sort of climate which has a nasty/cold/snowy/icy winter, do yourself a favor...chuck the all seasons. Buy a second set of rims/tires for the summer, and keep the original stock wheels and put snow tires on them. This will give you maximum grip in the winter, and maximum grip in the summer, without any negative aspects of trying to do both with the same tire.

All-season is a pathetic excuse for trying to give a cure-all to the consumer. The best all-season tire available on the market, won't have the same dry grip as the WORST summer tire will. If you are sticking with all-seasons, don't complain about handling, braking distance, lateral grip, or overall car manuverability...your already crippling the car before it even has a chance to perform.

D

·
0 Posts
Bombadil said:
Depends upon which Potenza. Some of them are quite poor.
I personally do not like the Potenza. My two previous Mazda's ('96 Precidia V6, '00 Protege Touring) came stock with 15" Potenzas. For both cars, the tires became unreasonably loud at about 30 000km/18mi and had to be replaced at 50 000km/30mi. I definitely drove the Precidia hard, but not the Protege. In both cases I replaced the tires with Goodyear Eagles, and these tires lasted much longer with no noticeable loss in performance.

3 Sport GT.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There are over 10-15 kinds of Potenzas, including the excellent RE750 and 900/950. In fact, isn't the S-02 and S-03 range also among the Potenzas - or are they 'Bridgestone Pole Position'?

And there are also numerous kinds of Goodyear Eagles - over 10 for sure, which also run the entire gamut between 60,000 mile (read disgusting sub-par uninspiring performance) All Seasons to high performance Summer-only F1-GS D3 and others!

(I'm not saying you did, but) People should not assume all GY Eagles or all BS Potenzas are identical!

D

·
0 Posts
ashutoshsm said:
There are over 10-15 kinds of Potenzas, including the excellent RE750 and 900/950. In fact, isn't the S-02 and S-03 range also among the Potenzas - or are they 'Bridgestone Pole Position'?

And there are also numerous kinds of Goodyear Eagles - over 10 for sure, which also run the entire gamut between 60,000 mile (read disgusting sub-par uninspiring performance) All Seasons to high performance Summer-only F1-GS D3 and others!

(I'm not saying you did, but) People should not assume all GY Eagles or all BS Potenzas are identical!
Thanks, good point.

·
Registered
89 Posts
the Toyo on 16" SUCK.

i got my car in Jan, and driving the car in snow and ice was horrible, while i was heading to school one day a car about 2 cars infront of me spun out and smacked into the center barricade, to avoid hitting i changed lanes and the car spun out(1 full circle) and went into a snow bank... luckily nothing was damaged.

i;ve been driving in snow (Yellowknife, NWT) since i got my licence, and no accidents due to bad (ice/snow) roads till i drove the m3 with stock toyo (i live in Calgary now..for school)

i am still using the toyo tires, but will be buying new ones in the fall...
and possibly 18"wheels durring the winter (rubber to come in spring)

·
Registered
209 Posts
nmack said:
the Toyo on 16" SUCK.
Again - that's a very blanket-judgement kind of post. That's like saying "The Bridgstone's suck" - there are many kinds.

And typically, all car manufacturers get 'specially made, ultr-low treadwer, ultr-crappy, super-cheap" OEM tire 'equivalents' from the tire manufacturers. The equivalent aftermarket version available to a consumer is usually better. And some tire manufacturers make unique models of parts (like tires) that don't exist in the consumer market but are merely for OEM sale.

·
Registered
276 Posts
What are you doing driving around Calgary in winter without snow tires?

I wouldn't say a certain tires (and all-season tires at that) "suck" just because of an experience like this. All-season tires are only rarely ever made to actually deal with snow very well. They only just barely handle snow because they have to in order to squeak into the "all-season" category.

A better yardstick for tires like these is pretty much anything BUT snow/ice performance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts