Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in haste I poured turtle wax blue car wash into the windshield washer tank. It looked like windshield washing fluid!

Should I drain this stuff out, and if so how should I go about doing it?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I would siphon it out. Fill with water, siphon that out. Fill with washer fluid and be more careful the next time :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=danielj link=topic=139637.msg3009814#msg3009814 date=1237741422]
I would siphon it out. Fill with water, siphon that out. Fill with washer fluid and be more careful the next time :)
[/quote]

It seems like there is a mesh filter in the nozzle of the fluid reservoir so I can't get a siphon in there.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'd drain it out but I wouldn't get too worried about flushing the tank. A trace of soap won't hurt, especially stuff formulated for washing cars.

In fact I've added approx 1/2 teaspoon of dish detergent to each jug of washer fluid for 20 years or so. It helps get some the road slime off the windshield. But if you add too much it does get kind of sudsy, streaky and filmy.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, but how do you drain it? I can't get a hose in the tank to siphon it because there is a mesh filter half way down the tank that wont let the hose get down to the liquid.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Take the cap off the fluid reservoir, pick the car up, turn it up side down and shake it. Then rinse with water and repeat. Good luck.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=popecruz link=topic=139637.msg3010303#msg3010303 date=1237764439]
Take the cap off the fluid reservoir, pick the car up, turn it up side down and shake it. Then rinse with water and repeat. Good luck.
[/quote]

Can we keep the lame responses to ourselves until I get some help. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If you can't get a hose all the way down there, you may be best off just removing the washer bottle. IIRC you can remove it easily if you take off the front bumper cover.

·
Registered
644 Posts
ever try squirting it all out? i doubt that stuff can be harmful for your car. and think about how the windshield washer system works.... i dont think it can harm your car.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=as1an_1nvas10n link=topic=139637.msg3010383#msg3010383 date=1237768265]
ever try squirting it all out? i doubt that stuff can be harmful for your car. and think about how the windshield washer system works.... i dont think it can harm your car.
[/quote]

Do you know how long that would take? Me neither, but I suspect it'd take a really long time. I remember noticing what appeared to be a drain plug near the bottom of my windshield wiper reservoir the last time I had the front bumper cover off. That's probably your best bet.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
[quote author=astrob0y link=topic=139637.msg3009916#msg3009916 date=1237745764]
stick the hose in there and flush everything out. keep the hose running until all the bubbles are gone
[/quote]

Yeah, if you can't get a siphon hose in there I guess this is the easiest solution. Of course this time of year you then need to worry about freezing, depending on your local climate. Maybe flush out the water with windshield washer antifreeze? It would be diluted but it would still have some freezing protection. Unless you're in Nunavut or Alaska you should be OK, hopefully.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts