Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it sucked. Several bleeding knuckles and cut forearms later, all four doors are done. Trunk is next.

Anybody have any tips for trunk and rear deck?

Those freakin window rails were very stubborn and sharp!

I work at Best Buy, so this stuff is pennies per square foot. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, no. I'm going to do the firewall and trunk before I make a final judgment.

The amount that I installed retails for a little under $200.00. Definitely NOT worth it. It's just tar on a piece of aluminum foil that serves very little (if any) impact on road noise thus far.

I'm not impressed.

·
Registered
976 Posts
[quote author=drumboy link=topic=69738.msg1214500#msg1214500 date=1171766261]
[quote author=devil2k link=topic=69738.msg1213577#msg1213577 date=1171704915]
Just saw this one.
http://www.tw-car.com/mz3-club/viewthread.php?tid=3597

The person who did this just put tubes in them and reported a difference in road noise
[/quote]

Uhhh :shock: it's in japanese, dude...
[/quote]

That's chinese :)
It's the website of Mazda 3 Club of Southern Taiwan.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have installed this also. For me, it had a very noticeable difference in sound level. However, I installed mine directly under the door panel. I removed the door interior panel, sprayed sound dampening spray onto the inside of the outer skin of the door, then installed Dynamat Premium on the door covering the plasic window regulator assembly and all. Then, put the door card back on. I did the same in the hatch section, and even did the entire floor, also. I plan to do the inside firewall area next. I am very satisfied with the results, except for the tire noise and the weight increase. I noticed most of the noise was echoing inside the doors so I decided to dampen both the inside of the outer skin and outside of the inner door. Use the spray to get hard to reach areas.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm kind of on a Dynamat spree right now. I just finished the trunk, and I thought that the Xtreme trunk kit would be enough to cover everything (Five sheets of 18"x32") but I'm about a sheet and a half short.

I would like to do the firewall as well, but that is another project.

Best Buy doesn't carry the spray, so I'm SOL. :(

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
[quote author=(Flexion) link=topic=69738.msg1213464#msg1213464 date=1171692832]
And it sucked. Several bleeding knuckles and cut forearms later, all four doors are done. Trunk is next.

Anybody have any tips for trunk and rear deck?

Those freakin window rails were very stubborn and sharp!
I work at Best Buy, so this stuff is pennies per square foot. :D
[/quote]

did u do it over the black plastic of did u remove it.. theres a black plastic shroud after you remove the door panel... thats holding the glass etc in place did u remove that?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
did u do it over the black plastic of did u remove it.. theres a black plastic shroud after you remove the door panel... thats holding the glass etc in place did u remove that?
[/quote]

I did just to check it out and decide what would be most effective. I decided that the plastic piece would resonate and make noises so I just put it back on and covered it. Before putting it back on, I sprayed the inside of the door with that spray deadener. Anything between the mat and you will make noises, so less things on top of it as possible is better. It only dampens what is behind it.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
The way you did it is awesome if you going to do it the way I did too. Why you aren't noticing much difference is b/c the sound is echoing inside the door body and reverberating into your car. You have blocked any noise coming in through the skin of the door which is minimal. The most effective way is to just block where it comes out the door. Theres only one way out, but many ways in-wind, vibration, resonance.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
i dunt want to ask againt but did i miss the brand of the hoodliner you used? i was thinking of getting dynamat hoodliner

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
any pictures of your trunk?

thats probably the only area i'll dynamat when i do decide to do it

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
[quote author=Cain link=topic=69738.msg1275861#msg1275861 date=1174308776]
Dynamat all the way. I will post a pic of the trunk when I get home.
[/quote]

cool man thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts