Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
IMO it would be as waste because dont you still have to put the key in???

NOW if we could do something like the new corvette, like it will work as long as they keys are on you body then it will start and you can drive off with the keys still in your pocket.. That is AWESOME!!! I would LOVE to have that...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yeah, you would have to put the transponder key in, turn it forward to get the power on and unlock the steering column, and then reach over and push the button. Pretty worthless.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
[quote author=bzdel2441 link=topic=71929.msg1271463#msg1271463 date=1174063954]
IMO it would be as waste because dont you still have to put the key in???

NOW if we could do something like the new corvette, like it will work as long as they keys are on you body then it will start and you can drive off with the keys still in your pocket.. That is AWESOME!!! I would LOVE to have that...
[/quote]

someone started a thread about doing that, but it seems to have fizzled.

the speed6 GT has this system, and id love to see if its sourcable for the 3. i think its one of the few convenience mods i'd actually think about if it was cheap enough.

·
Registered
135 Posts
it won't be cheap enough.....

(look at the flipkey costs....)

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
You mean like what the Mini Cooper's have? You insert the "key fob" into a slot near the steering wheel, and press the start button next to that. That's how the car gets turned on, and off. There is no key turning at all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Coudln't this in theory be somehow done with a remote start?

Maybe somehow always have the ignition in the on position and just use the button on your remote to start the engine? Probably not but it would be really coold if someone could figure this out!

·
Registered
135 Posts
the best way, imo, would be to do it like corvettes/supercars and make it completely wireless. no key, just a wireless fob and a push button, keep the key in your pocket and get in the car.

it might be possible using bluetooth to link the steering wheel lock, ignition, and some sort of fob. maybe a bluetooth cell phone....

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
[quote author=smiler82 link=topic=71929.msg1283475#msg1283475 date=1174567507]
the best way, imo, would be to do it like corvettes/supercars and make it completely wireless. no key, just a wireless fob and a push button, keep the key in your pocket and get in the car.

it might be possible using bluetooth to link the steering wheel lock, ignition, and some sort of fob. maybe a bluetooth cell phone....
[/quote]

first instinct was cool, however not long after the following scene played through my head:

oh crap, i forgot to charge my fone last night and now its dead. ill just have to drive home and charge it. crap. i'll just have to call my girlfriend for a ride. crap.

·
Registered
135 Posts
they do make car chargers for cell phones these days....

i'd want the ability to override (or just use the key) whenever i wanted as well

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I put a start button in my other car just so people couldn't smoke in my car. Gets rid of the lighter nicely. It's totally worthless though and just an appearance mod. Some of the older crx's it fit perfectly in the steering column so they hid the ignition key by the seat and then all you had to do was push the button, thats kinda cool..

·
Registered
135 Posts
it really seems like a lot more work than its worth.

although there is some decent voice rec. software for the pc/mac carputer crowd. hmmm....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts