Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my 04 mazda back in for an EVAP leak code and a lean code, P0455 and P0171 if i recall.

Mazda then told me the Purge solenoid, purge solenoid valve and vacuum hose need to be replaced. If i'm correct this involves replacing from the red tagged connector back to the purge solenoid which should be the next device on that hose correct? The reason I ask is that mazda wants to charge $700 for the job and as long as i'm not talking complete engine dis-assembly, I'd much rather replace it myself and save $400 in labor (which seems an AWFUL lot) for this easy a repair. Am I on the right track here?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Get a 2nd look at that, damn sounds like way too much.

Is your warranty up already ???

Got to be an easier way, look for the parts used, we have several forum sponsors here that may be able to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For starters, yeah the warranty is up, we've got 76k on the car. I could hear a hissing sound at the engine side connector so I'm assuming its at that point, I'm hoping that I don't have to replace the hoses on the other end, although that doesn't look too bad.

Should I get the part numbers that the dealership wants to order and find where else I can get them?

·
Registered
12,758 Posts
let me know if you need a fuel purge solenoid, i have two extras, and you can use a regular vacume hose and just use a small clamp onto the line. it seriously....takes 5 mins to change this out.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=Bobinniti link=topic=136758.msg4086406#msg4086406 date=1312408100]
did replacing the purge solenoid valve and vacuum hose fix your problem
[/quote]

This thread was 2.5 year old thread. Major FAIL

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=136758.msg4086975#msg4086975 date=1312472536]
[quote author=Bobinniti link=topic=136758.msg4086406#msg4086406 date=1312408100]
did replacing the purge solenoid valve and vacuum hose fix your problem
[/quote]

This thread was 2.5 year old thread. Major FAIL
[/quote]

Unless he's a new member (2 posts), with the same problem, and he used the search feature to find someone who had the issue previously and ask what their eventual fix was.

·
Registered
81 Posts
the purge valve, if made by Denso has an internal adjustment. I know, I recently fixed mine, by adjusting it till the leak stopped and so did the CEL...my.02 cents..

A small flat head screwdriver is all it takes. Set the set screw to the left all the way down and 1 1/2 turns from base and my valve worked perfectly.

Saved me $100 because it takes all of 2 seconds to remove the thing...the darn hose clamp can be squeezed by my 2 fingers and slid off. pull the house and just remove the valve only.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife's car in a bone stock 2004 Mazda 3 2.3L. One day her battery couldn't start her car. A neighbor helped jump start her car. When she took it in to Midas, they installed a new battery, and the diagnostic test flashed a P2187 DTC. "Fuel sys. too lean." The CEL was NOT on, but this code was present in the history of the ECU...

I'm going to take an educated guess and think that the nearly dead battery didn't have enough amps to charge her fuel system quick like is was supposed to. So the computer might have thought, "Woah, must be a leak somewhere in the emmisions system!" This may have triggered this issue. But, I wanted to get another opinion from you guys... Wife says her fuel economy isn't quite what it used to be, and the car feels lazy... I'm taking it in for an oil change and fuel system cleaning. Oil change is over due. What you guys think?

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
P2187 is an issue I had last week.

Replace the purge valve solenoid; can buy them from a dealer, comes with all the piping. SUPER easy to replace, but a little expensive.

If she has had problems it was probably right after filling up.
Other issues that have affected me from it has been misfires and just .. Well like she says, laziness; throttle may feel slow or less responsive.

But yeah, replace the purge valve solenoid and that should fix the problems!
They do go bad so it isn't uncommon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the purge valve, if made by Denso has an internal adjustment. I know, I recently fixed mine, by adjusting it till the leak stopped and so did the CEL...my.02 cents..

A small flat head screwdriver is all it takes. Set the set screw to the left all the way down and 1 1/2 turns from base and my valve worked perfectly.

Saved me $100 because it takes all of 2 seconds to remove the thing...the darn hose clamp can be squeezed by my 2 fingers and slid off. pull the house and just remove the valve only.
I was having CEL codes of lean, etc, followed the above instructions, now am getting p0441 (incorrect purge flow) which I have not had until after I made the above adjustment. I should note that when turning the set screw back to the base it took perhaps 5 turns to get all the way down which seems like a lot if it should have been closer to 1.5 turns (which is where it is placed now with the new CEL). What now? New PSV? Try 2.5 turns? Try 0.5 turns?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Replaced the PSV

Just in case anyone ends up interested, I played around with the set screw quite a lot attempting to get a "proper" purge flow setting and avoiding the original CEL codes. I was getting codes daily related to the emissions. I gave up and bought a new PSV from my local Mazda dealer for $135, installed in less than 10 minutes, have had no CEL nor any pending codes for almost 1 week now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Reviving old thread... Have a p0441 and system too lean code. I figure they're related, though I've been chasing this lean condition for a bit. So.... When yall talk about replacing this piece, you're talking about the CANISTER, not the solenoid, right? Because the solenoids are the 2 pieces on top of the intake manifold, and the canister sits somewhere along the side iirc.

I have been dealing with refusal to start and run for 15 seconds after each fill up unless throttle is played with.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
So.... When yall talk about replacing this piece, you're talking about the CANISTER, not the solenoid, right? Because the solenoids are the 2 pieces on top of the intake manifold, and the canister sits somewhere along the side iirc.

I have been dealing with refusal to start and run for 15 seconds after each fill up unless throttle is played with.
Um, the two things on top of the intake manifold control the VTCS and VICS. The purge solenoid is (when facing the engine) to the upper right corner of the valve cover. The canister is in the rear of the vehicle behind the gas tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts