Mazda3 Forums banner

Would You Buy the 3 in its First Year of Production?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seen the 3, sat in it twice but still no test drive...YET. It's simply an awesome car, even standing still.

The big dilemna is whether I should purchase a car in its first year of production. Has anyone had experience with first year models? THe 3 seems to be built with utmost care and precision. It is solid all the way around. Nevertheless, there are always some minor problems, ex rattles, etc. For example, take the Acura TSX, which is assembled/manufactured in Japan. It is an excellent car with a high quality build, but it still has its fair share of probelms like rattles etc. First year Honda Civics had their glitches. Also, the Rx8 has its problems too.

What is everyone's opinion on the topic? How about for the new owners of the 3, have you noticed anything "wrong" on your 3 yet? I just want to make sure that I get a solid car because I've saved up my money for 1 year and want to spend it on something solid.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
The Mz3's components (engines, transmissions) can be found in other cars that have been out for at least a year (Mazda6i and Ford Focus) and have had most initial problems addressed.

First year problems can be sourced to component manufacturers and the plant where the car is assembled.

Case in point, Mazda's Tribute (Ford Escape) is manufactured at Ford's Kansas City plant which has had problems with previous Ford models (e.g Ford Contour), as such Tributes had numerous initial problems (and continue to have) whereas, the Mazda6 is manufactured at Ford's Auto Alliance Plant (Mercury Cougar, Mazda626) which produces relatively reliable cars, the initial problems with Mazda6 manufacturing have been minimal (save the rust problem with paint).

I'd take a look at where the Mazda3 is being produced in Japan and then evaluate any problems with componentry shared between the Mz3 and any sister cars.

Of course, this observation doesn't account for variability between all cars and their components, so there's still chance someone will end up with a lemon.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
The warranty seems long enough that you could buy a first year car and feel safe. Just to be on the safe side, I bought an extended warranty for 7 yrs/100K miles to get me through payoff (5 yrs). Most car defects seem to come out within 2 years or so. (my experience with my Hyundai)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Yes. I wouldn't usually but the 3 should be good IMO.

The engine has been used in other cars
The tranny will be MT for me, so there usually aren't any probs with them
The chassis is Ford+Mazda+Volvo -> they can't screw up on 3 sides

The only issues could be electonics or sensors (ie: CEL) but that's why I'm buying in the summer :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have a '99 Protege and I haven't had any major problems, and it was a first year model.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wouldnt because I bought a 1st year 6, and now I'm not in the market ;)
Its hit or miss, this is the 2nd or 3rd, 1st MY car I've bought (well 1st brand new model, other two were redesigns), so far good luck with this one, bad bad luck with one, and so so on the third. it getting progressively better though ;) you have a warranty and I think sweenys right, most of the probs I've had with cars seem to pop up in the 1st year or 2

·
Banned
868 Posts
I would with the mz3.

Why?

Because if you look at the product life of the P5's, you'll find that there weren't many changes to the car - which means, they got it right the first time around, and didn't have to do much changes. Most of their changes were VERY minor cosmetic changes, such as smoked headlights and chrome wheels.

Now, as for the mz3, it replaces the P5, so I would think they tried hard to make the car as polished as they could the first time around.

Also, if you think about it, Mazda is probably budget-conscious. Having to go through redesigns in the middle of a product cycle would really drain on resources, so why not make a car that looks good, performs well, and doesn't need refreshing halfway through it's lifecycle as a Mazda car? :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Lest the praise of first year cars grow too glowing, don't forget what happened to the first year model of the Ford Focus. Something like 12-14 recalls and a boatload of problems.

This may be significant because the Mz3 is a close first cousin of the Focus, being the first implementation of the new Focus. I expect the Mz3 to be far more reliable than that first year Focus, but there is some legitimate reason for concern.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Don't forget, the Focus that you're referring to, will NOT be introduced to the North American market......and the European market being the tough compact car market it is, will definately push up the quality of the "next Focus".

And thus, the quailty of the mz3 :D

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Yeah I would by the first year model of the 3. The mazda6i engine and tranny has been out for some time now.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
not sure yet.
most first year cars have bugs, from what I'm told. They're usually worked out by the second model year.

·
Registered
168 Posts
IMHO, it would be best to wait 1 year, but if you cannot wait that long, then a minimum of a few months (say 4-6 months). Often times it's not the design that is flawed but a hitch in the manufacturing process or in the quality of the supplied parts. We bought a '98 Accord the first month it was out, & it was mostly OK, except for rattles here & there - we were lucky I guess. I also followed the release of the 04 Sienna (a relative was looking for one) & what I noticed from the forums was that a lot the problems reported were production related problems - rattle noises, plastic parts falling apart, bad gas tank, bumpers not installed properly, etc. Checked for all those problems when they finally picked up their van (~5months after release), & none was to be found. As for myself, I'm looking at around the May timeframe before picking up a 3 sedan (haven't decided on the colour yet).

OffTopic:
Say, does anyone here have access to TSBs for the Mz3? It would be nice if there was a TSB section that we could search for any problems that could arise.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would buy a first year car....especially the 3 cuz it's Mazda...but i would wait a few months...especially for the safety ratings to come out to get that extra level of security, you know?...Plus, don't those ratings influence the insurance? If i'm wrong, please correct so that i will be a much better car consumer....thanx

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I think Bruno (bluong) has a section on his website for MZ3 TSB's.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Given how generally sound and problem free my 02 Pro5 was I have no issues buying a first year car. In fact I just brought home my 04 Mazda3 Sport tonight! ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts