Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to the dealership today and we worked out a price. now i just need to pick up the car on mon when they get it, sign the dotted line, and i will be the proud owner of a 2009 metro grey mica speed3 GT. out the door price.......$24,000. think i did alright?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. no plans for the car yet. if i do anything in the immediate future, its just gonna be extorior stuff. pretty busy these days........ and no garage. yeah, 3rd key looks like a smart thing to do. if i can cet one for $20 at the dealer, ittl be a done deal.

anyway, i hope the dealer doesnt try to flip any price on me when i go in to pick up the car.

first red flag was he said he had the car and when i went there, it wasnt there.

oh well, as long as i walk out of there with the car for the otd price we agreed on, i will be happy

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=yang_jackson link=topic=138884.msg2994124#msg2994124 date=1237049313]
thanks guys. no plans for the car yet. if i do anything in the immediate future, its just gonna be extorior stuff. pretty busy these days........ and no garage. yeah, 3rd key looks like a smart thing to do. if i can cet one for $20 at the dealer, ittl be a done deal.

anyway, i hope the dealer doesnt try to flip any price on me when i go in to pick up the car.

first red flag was he said he had the car and when i went there, it wasnt there.

oh well, as long as i walk out of there with the car for the otd price we agreed on, i will be happy
[/quote]

Double check the dealer price on the key as many dealers will try and charge you $16 to have it cut, plus tell you they have to program it for an extra fee. If it's anything more than $25 just order from bagman1 (aka Jason) from onlinemazdaparts and he'll cut the key for you prior to shipping.

As for being worried about them having the car make sure they provide you the VIN of the car you're getting in writing so that they don't pull a switch, or sell it off to someone else.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I wanted to buy two extra keys from bagman1, but he isn't cutting keys right now. I am still waiting until he starts cutting keys again.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=TongMan link=topic=138884.msg2994765#msg2994765 date=1237080343]
I wanted to buy two extra keys from bagman1, but he isn't cutting keys right now. I am still waiting until he starts cutting keys again.
[/quote]

Oh yeah, forgot their key cutter was down right now. I'm sure it'll be replaced soon.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i have had my car for 2 days now. already took a cruise to half moon bay ca, and cruised the redwoods in east bay cali. managed to but a couple hudred miles on the car. i love it!
so much power and the handling is 2nd to none.
by far my best purchase to date.

plannin on taking a roadtrip down the coast in may to hit mazfest.

if anyone is on the fence for a speed 3, pull the trigger.

you will not regret it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Congrats. I've had mine since July and couldn't be happier with it. The color is awesome too.

Good job on the price....looks like we paid around the same OTD for the GT, mine was $21590 before tax, tag, title, came out to almost 24.

Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
My first post here, just joined because I closed the deal on my Mazdaspeed 3 today, will pick up on Sat. I've been driving Mazdas for quite a while, starting with a B2000, then a 626 (which seems to have given up after 12 years). Looks like it's an awesome car and value. I got an internet price quote and took a little bit of dialog with the dealer, they got confused, or made a "mistake" and tried to charge $400 more, but they did the right thing in the end, so I'm paying $23.5 (before tax & tags) for the GT, in white (which is a $200 extra for the shiny stuff in the paint).

It's gonna be tough to take it easy for the breakin period, even though modern engines supposedly don't really need it, I want to put a thousand on the thing, before I really open it up.

Look forward to sharing with the others here. Already found the suggestions very helpful, like tips for a delivery checklist.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ya, that's a great price! I paid $23K for my non-nav GT, plus tax, which worked out to $700 under invoice. That was in November, before the 2010's started rolling in.

Now brace yourself: there's a 98% chance that the dealer will try to change the deal once you get there. Do not budge. If they put tint, wheel locks, or some other accessory that raises the price, tell them thanks for the upgrade, but I'm only paying what I agreed to pay. If they try to stall you while they "get approval" for that, just grab yourself a sticky muffin or some cookies from the vending machine and park yourself inside one of the showroom cars. This has a way of moving the process forward. :)

Trust me, they want the 09's gone, and NOW. You are in the catbird's seat. Or a CX-9's leather seat for a while, if they try to dick you around! The shop I bought my car at also sells Jaguar and Aston Martin, and I was told their "closer" was with another customer and I'd have to wait a while. So I grabbed some cookies, a coffee, and a newspaper, and sat myself in a brand new XF. Lo and behold, the finance guy quickly got un-busy! It's a self-made "dealer incentive" to get you the hell outta there!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my dealer was great!
agreed to $24k out the door on a 09 speed 3 gt w/o nav.
when i arrived, no tricks, no shadiness.
$24 out the door!

and if you are getting the gt, hub cap locks, floor mats, and other goodies come standard.

props to john and nick at mazda of oakland!

·
Registered
33 Posts
thanks for the good wishes. I've got an order sheet with the numbers, so they can't bump anything. The sticker does show a small price for the wheel locks & floor mats, I'd want them anyhow so I'm not worried about that.

It also shipped with a cheesy looking metal gas cap, but the stock one was in the trunk, so they're gonna change it back. I could bitch about paying for it, but I'm not gonna sweat the small shit. I'm going through that checklist and make sure everything works. I need to read up on maintaining a turbo, this is my first.

The other thing they have to do is remove that dealer advertising plate. It is a great time to be buying. They tried to talk about how they're lucky to have a few speeds in stock, they're in short supply. I wasn't moved.

I'll report back tomorrow on how it went (unless I'm too busy gently breaking it in!)

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
congrats on the ms3!

i've had mine for over a year and just about to put 20,000 miles on it.
i absolutely love my ms3!

·
Registered
476 Posts
[quote author=PhillyBill link=topic=138884.msg3007778#msg3007778 date=1237599981]
thanks for the good wishes. I've got an order sheet with the numbers, so they can't bump anything. The sticker does show a small price for the wheel locks & floor mats, I'd want them anyhow so I'm not worried about that.

It also shipped with a cheesy looking metal gas cap, but the stock one was in the trunk, so they're gonna change it back. I could bitch about paying for it, but I'm not gonna sweat the small shit. I'm going through that checklist and make sure everything works. I need to read up on maintaining a turbo, this is my first.

The other thing they have to do is remove that dealer advertising plate. It is a great time to be buying. They tried to talk about how they're lucky to have a few speeds in stock, they're in short supply. I wasn't moved.

I'll report back tomorrow on how it went (unless I'm too busy gently breaking it in!)
[/quote]

Just so you know, standard 09 Mazdaspeed3 floormats with a "rubberized" heel insert, come with every GT. Wheel locks are a dealer installed accessory though, as is the brushed metal fuel door (which I personally liked enough to buy it and install myself). Actually, every "option" including the nav system, is dealer installed on these cars, so don't let them say "it came that way from the factory." If they say otherwise they are lying to you.

The dealer I went through automatically does a full legal tint and installed wheel locks on every MS3 they had in stock at the time (16, at the time), but the tint job was excellent and reasonably priced so they got me on that one. I asked them to remove the useless wheel locks so they just threw them in because it would cost more to replace them that to just give them to me.

Dealer advertising plates, you mean the plaques that some dealers, mostly in the South and Midwest, glue onto your car? They don't do that here, but if they did I wouldn't buy the car unless they made it go away before I drove it home. And I mean absolutely gone, no glue marks or paint issues. Decades ago, they used to drill them into the trunk lid as part of the dealer prep! But these days, a little heat and some care, followed by a quality detail, will take care of that, no problem, but it's another stalling tactic.

But if it's just a license plate frame, I've always kept those on until the actual plates arrive from the DMV. Removing them is the first "mod" I do! Unlike some states, CA doesn't give us temp plates, so the dealer plate frame, and whatever else they put in their (mine was a virtual billboard for the dealer) is good insurance against getting pulled over for a technical. CA cops know it's a new car that way so they leave you alone. Once the plates arrived, I swapped the frames with some ones that look pretty nice. If the dealer wants me to advertise for them, well send me a check every month and I'll consider it!

Rambling anecdote, I bought a 1986 Corolla GTS straight off the showroom when I was young and cocky. It had "16 Valve" and other tacky stickers all over it. While waiting for my check to clear (I already signed the "pink sheet"), I sat in the showroom and started peeling them off with my fingers in front of many customers, and the entire sales staff. Several people tried to stop me, but I told them I just bought the car, so leave me alone. That got me out of there pretty fast!

Dealers can be ruthless but there are ways to speed things along to get what you want. Remember the original Saturn? I talked to a couple who wanted a better price. Saturn dealers didn't deal at the time, so they just sat in the car they wanted and ordered a pizza. Knocked about $500 off the fixed price just by being cleverly obnoxious. Nice move. My cookies and newspaper move didn't make my Mazda any cheaper, but it got me out of the lion's den a lot faster.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=kwsmithphoto link=topic=138884.msg3008304#msg3008304 date=1237628717]Actually, every "option" including the nav system, is dealer installed on these cars, so don't let them say "it came that way from the factory." If they say otherwise they are lying to you.
[/quote]

Not true. The NAV system is a factory installed option. The entire wiring harness from the firewall back is different and requires removal of the entire dash to replace.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'll take your word for that, but I was told by a dealer that it can be added to the car for the same price, but it takes a few days. For $2000 extra I passed. I already have GPS nav on my Blackberry that's pretty good. Not great, not bad, but it works pretty well and it's always there without the car.

Anyway, if it is a factory installed deal, it's pretty hard to find. $2000 is a lot. When I was shopping for an 09 MS3, none of them had nav installed, but they were willing to sell me one. Apparently there's an install kit that dealer's can use. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I was told by 2 different Mazda stores.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts