Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Other than the cost, I don't see a downside to YOU having HID's... but personally I'd like to see them banned completely. As in, if you're the ones with them, I see no downside other than cost. If you're the one that has to look at them, there's lots of downside.
HIDs are usually not the lights that blind. Most often I get blinded by trucks that have offroad packages on them and cheap honda civics that had an HID kit installed in a headlight cluster that is not meant for HIDs. HIDs have a primary and secondary light. The primary is the white light which you don't see very often unless they are pointed directly at you (which is rare since HIDs are usually pointed toward the ground). The Secondary light is the dimmer blue or indigo light that you see when you look at an HID.

I used to have Sylvania Silver Star headlights in my 2001 Nissan Sentra and I used to get brights flashed at me all of the time. Now that I have the Mazda3 with the projector HIDs, I never get flashed and no one complains when I am driving behind them in the dark.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Slalom said:
mnemonicj said:
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Other than the cost, I don't see a downside to YOU having HID's... but personally I'd like to see them banned completely. As in, if you're the ones with them, I see no downside other than cost. If you're the one that has to look at them, there's lots of downside.
HIDs are usually not the lights that blind. Most often I get blinded by trucks that have offroad packages on them and cheap honda civics that had an HID kit installed in a headlight cluster that is not meant for HIDs. HIDs have a primary and secondary light. The primary is the white light which you don't see very often unless they are pointed directly at you (which is rare since HIDs are usually pointed toward the ground). The Secondary light is the dimmer blue or indigo light that you see when you look at an HID.

primary and secondary light in HIDs? huh?
Check out this .pdf file. It has a chart on page 3 that gives a graph like representation of the different light representation in HIDs.

http://www.keldan.ch/pdf/technology_e.pdf

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.