Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ii just looked around this section briefly, but i didn't really see the information I was looking for. My apologies if this has already been covered in another thread. can anyone list from an objective perspective the pros and cons of having xenon? For example, Ii hear they last a lot longer, but are really expensive to replace. I also hear theft is a major problem with xenons right now. Can anyone offer some truth to these rumors and whether they're really worth the price or not?

Thanks in advance,
Dirk

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Theft? Lmao.. a theif would spend A LOT of time to take apart a Xenon setup. Not only do you have to get the lens, the ballast and igniter to make it all work. Thats for both sides, btw.

As for lasting longer, of course! Typical Xenon setups only draw 35w from the electrical system. Good thing we have 4 ear warranty's to cover the ballast and ignitor, because those can be FREAKIN expensive.

IMO...

Pros>
Brighter output than halogen headlamps
More focused beam of light
Longer lasting... kinda like Double Mint gum
Looks wicked
Auto or manual cockpit adjustment
Projector, not a reflector

Cons>
Other motorists BITCH about the blinding
When things fail, its expensive
Expensive to start with
No auto adjust on the 3
I would like a more purple hue, but thats just me

·
Registered
77 Posts
Audi S4's, new Maximas etc. are all having their complete lighting assemblies stolen - no joke. This has been all over the news in New jersey for example where it seems to be growing. Time? Under 5 minutes to remove both according the police. Less if there is a few criminals doing it.

Still, dont let this prevent you from getting xenons. They are positively the best lighting solution available.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Other than the cost, I don't see a downside to YOU having HID's... but personally I'd like to see them banned completely. As in, if you're the ones with them, I see no downside other than cost. If you're the one that has to look at them, there's lots of downside.

·
Registered
481 Posts
a_kaup said:
Audi S4's, new Maximas etc. are all having their complete lighting assemblies stolen - no joke. This has been all over the news in New jersey for example where it seems to be growing. Time? Under 5 minutes to remove both according the police. Less if there is a few criminals doing it.

Still, dont let this prevent you from getting xenons. They are positively the best lighting solution available.
yup xenon theft has been big going back several years to the last gen accord and acura TL... the TL had xenons that were super easy to take off the car and that gen accord had the same shape headlight housing so all the stolen ones were ending up in accords!

·
Registered
168 Posts
vaBooM said:
Theft? Lmao.. a theif would spend A LOT of time to take apart a Xenon setup. Not only do you have to get the lens, the ballast and igniter to make it all work. Thats for both sides, btw.

As for lasting longer, of course! Typical Xenon setups only draw 35w from the electrical system. Good thing we have 4 ear warranty's to cover the ballast and ignitor, because those can be FREAKIN expensive.

IMO...

Pros>
Brighter output than halogen headlamps
More focused beam of light
Longer lasting... kinda like Double Mint gum
Looks wicked
Auto or manual cockpit adjustment
Projector, not a reflector

Cons>
Other motorists BITCH about the blinding
When things fail, its expensive
Expensive to start with
No auto adjust on the 3
I would like a more purple hue, but thats just me
PROS>
Brighter output than halogen headlamps------WOW, what a difference!
More focused beam of light-------AGREED
Longer lasting------Halogens = approx. 2,500hrs. | Xenon = approx. 40,000hrs.
Looks wicked------AGREED
Auto or manual cockpit adjustment-------AGREED
Projector, not a reflector-------Mazda3s are "projector", however other vehicles may have "reflectors" instead of "projector". Projectors are better IMO.

CONS>
Other motorists BITCH about the blinding------Then stay out of my way you jealous freak :twisted:
When things fail, its expensive------AGREED
Expensive to start with------AGREED, but going down lower in price
No auto adjust on the 3------MANUAL ADJUST INSIDE COCKPIT
I would like a more purple hue, but thats just me------AGREED

Once you get Xenon HIDs you'll never go back. They are amazing!!!

Spencer

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well I must say that all of this is true, however, tthey are not the best thing since sliced bread. I got them, because the only Black Mica in NJ at the time had them, so now they are mine. However, I am not thoroughly impressed. My main problem is that they have a too distinct beam. Halogens fade around the edges, where Xenons do not. Also, the height of halogens can be manually adjusted beyond factory spec. I guess my biggest problem with them is distance. The top line of the light that is projected is too low(to avoid blinding), and I can not see far enough ahead. In most instances thisis acceptable, but when I go home to deer country, I prefer to see further up the road so I don't ad a deer to my list of accessories.

Are they nice, Yes.
Would I pay $800 for them again, not neccessarily.

My .02
Craig

·
Registered
168 Posts
TellyDSP said:
Well I must say that all of this is true, however, tthey are not the best thing since sliced bread. I got them, because the only Black Mica in NJ at the time had them, so now they are mine. However, I am not thoroughly impressed. My main problem is that they have a too distinct beam. Halogens fade around the edges, where Xenons do not. Also, the height of halogens can be manually adjusted beyond factory spec. I guess my biggest problem with them is distance. The top line of the light that is projected is too low(to avoid blinding), and I can not see far enough ahead. In most instances thisis acceptable, but when I go home to deer country, I prefer to see further up the road so I don't ad a deer to my list of accessories.

Are they nice, Yes.
Would I pay $800 for them again, not neccessarily.

My .02
Craig
Telly,

Have you tried manually adjusting them using the adjuster on the left side of the dash? I set mine to "0" and have better visibility than my previous 99' Honda Accord.

Spencer

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
On the highway... 0.

On the streets, 1.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have them set to 0, but the top line of light is still low. I think it will just take some getting used to. Is there a manual adjuster on the housings like there are on halogens?

Craig

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
No...

Ive tried to adjust a Lexus IS300 one time. Didnt work. But, if you find the motors, you can adjust the motor lower essentially making the motor adjust the lens higher when needed.

I dont know if thats do-able on the 3. But I talked to the service manager, and he says when I bring the car in for service they will definately look at it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Other than the cost, I don't see a downside to YOU having HID's... but personally I'd like to see them banned completely. As in, if you're the ones with them, I see no downside other than cost. If you're the one that has to look at them, there's lots of downside.
HIDs are usually not the lights that blind. Most often I get blinded by trucks that have offroad packages on them and cheap honda civics that had an HID kit installed in a headlight cluster that is not meant for HIDs. HIDs have a primary and secondary light. The primary is the white light which you don't see very often unless they are pointed directly at you (which is rare since HIDs are usually pointed toward the ground). The Secondary light is the dimmer blue or indigo light that you see when you look at an HID.

I used to have Sylvania Silver Star headlights in my 2001 Nissan Sentra and I used to get brights flashed at me all of the time. Now that I have the Mazda3 with the projector HIDs, I never get flashed and no one complains when I am driving behind them in the dark.

·
Registered
481 Posts
mnemonicj said:
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
HIDs are usually not the lights that blind. Most often I get blinded by trucks that have offroad packages on them and cheap honda civics that had an HID kit installed in a headlight cluster that is not meant for HIDs. HIDs have a primary and secondary light. The primary is the white light which you don't see very often unless they are pointed directly at you (which is rare since HIDs are usually pointed toward the ground). The Secondary light is the dimmer blue or indigo light that you see when you look at an HID.

primary and secondary light in HIDs? huh?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've never heard the primary secondary thing, but I do not it's not the actual brightness fo the light that bothers the eyes, it is the blue spectrum of light created that effects the eyes in darkness. HID's are actually an interesting thing to learn about. Like the fact that Xenon is only used to start up the lamp because the mercury vapor takesto long to light. The same technology is found in street lamps and stadium lighting.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Slalom said:
mnemonicj said:
MZ6ZoomZoom said:

primary and secondary light in HIDs? huh?
Check out this .pdf file. It has a chart on page 3 that gives a graph like representation of the different light representation in HIDs.

http://www.keldan.ch/pdf/technology_e.pdf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts