Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm planning on using some of my tax return to upgrade my sound system with a pair of components up front, sub, cleansweep, and amp. Most is JL simply because I have a friend who works at a local audio shop and can get me discounted JL products, as well as other brands made by JL.

Currently I am planning on purchasing...

Focal 165 A1 or V1
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7755_Focal+165+A1.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6271_Focal+165+V1.html

JL Audio 10W3v3-4
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13610W3V34/JL-Audio-10W3v3-4.html?tp=111

JL Audio CL441dsp CleanSweep
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136441DSP/JL-Audio-CL441dsp-CleanSweep.html?search=cleansweep&tp=6870

JL Audio HD Series HD600/4
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136HD6004/JL-Audio-HD-Series-HD600-4.html?search=hd600&tp=115

Just have a few questions.

1. Any other suggestions for speakers? Almost everything I have read about the focals is good reviews but if anyone has a better speaker for ~200 please let me know.

2. Is there enough room to mount the cleansweep behind the factory radio?

3. I would like to mount the amp on the roof of my trunk, not the lid, does anyone have pictures/advice for doing so? I'm thinking about mounting the amp to a piece of MDF and then to the deck, but I'm not really sure how I would go about sticking it up there.

I listen to mostly rock, industrial, and acoustic/vocal. SQ is obviously most important to me. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Im more of an alpine guy myself, S's or R's,both are great.But Focal is a great speaker too.And the W3v3 is quite nice as well, ive got two of them in 12",hits quite nice.(if youve not heard the speakers in person,i would suggest going to a shop and checking them out before you start dishing out bills)

As for mounting the cleansweep behind the factory headunit,that may be quite unprobable.

And putting the amp on the trunk? ive only seen that done with fiberglass and such. dont know how youd mount it with mdf tho :dunno:

·
Registered
760 Posts
eD 9.65i http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=0&products_id=617

They're less than the focals and have a much smoother tweeter. Plus the option to mount tweeter to mid for a coaxial type of setup.

For a few more bucks than the Focal V1s, you could get the DLS MS6As which are a great sounding comp set.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_23_128&products_id=521

FWIW, all the eD amps are on sale for a super good price, you could get two Nine.2s for $250, less than the price of one JL amp. Or just get a Nine.4 for only $135. Don't let the conservative power ratings fool you. These amps are rated at 12 volts, so in reality, they put out well over rated numbers at normal car voltage (13.8 ish volts)

http://www.edesignaudio.com/

May as well check out the e3.8 sub while you're there.

I'm pretty sure the cleansweep is too large to be mounted behind the radio area. Maybe others who actually have experience installing them will chime in.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I wouldn't buy the Focals from Sonic, since they are not an authorized dealer. There are a lot of fake Focal being sold. The online price for authorized dealers, such as Car Toys, is about $100 more.

I rather doubt that the ED speakers sound better than the Focals. At the $200+ price point, a stamped basket for the woofer is just plain cheap. The small holes that the stamped basket allows for the back pressure of the woofer to escape have to reduce the bass output considerably over the Focals. Stamped baskets can't be made with as much precision as a die-cast basket, so this usually compromises the design of the motor in very audible ways.

You have specced out some rather expensive name brand amps. You don't need to get spendy on amps. Even fairly inexpensive amps sound just fine.

I would suspect that there is some space in the lower dash area behind the cigarette lighter where the cleansweep can go. It would be less expensive and better SQ to just replace the head unit with a really good receiver in the $300-$400 range.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Definitely not enough room behind the HU for the cleansweep:

I would say in or behind the glove box if you want to keep it in the dash area. But a better spot if you are installing amps might be on the board with the amps.

I've only seen one MZ3 setup with the amps mounted to the underside of the package shelf - looked pretty nice. I didnt really climb into the trunk at the time, but when I setup my system I decided against it.

As for good components on the cheap - check out www.woofersetc.com. The are having a huge sale on CDT Audio - so you may get alot more speaker for your money while they get rid of the 2008 models.

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=geewhizbang link=topic=136250.msg2936504#msg2936504 date=1234625174]
I wouldn't buy the Focals from Sonic, since they are not an authorized dealer. There are a lot of fake Focal being sold. The online price for authorized dealers, such as Car Toys, is about $100 more.

I rather doubt that the ED speakers sound better than the Focals. At the $200+ price point, a stamped basket for the woofer is just plain cheap. The small holes that the stamped basket allows for the back pressure of the woofer to escape have to reduce the bass output considerably over the Focals. Stamped baskets can't be made with as much precision as a die-cast basket, so this usually compromises the design of the motor in very audible ways.

You have specced out some rather expensive name brand amps. You don't need to get spendy on amps. Even fairly inexpensive amps sound just fine.

I would suspect that there is some space in the lower dash area behind the cigarette lighter where the cleansweep can go. It would be less expensive and better SQ to just replace the head unit with a really good receiver in the $300-$400 range.
[/quote]

You know what happens when you assume?

9.65i doesn't have a stamped basket, it's an in house tooled cast frame. And how in the hell are you so sure they don't absolutely blow away your harsh sounding focals? Do an a/b comparo and get back to us on that.

The holes in the back are there for better cooling and higher power handling. Geez....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. Like I said, the only reason I'm going with JL is because my friend works at the local shop so he can pretty much get me an at cost discount. He'd also be doing the install for me so not too worried about install costs. I will definitely take a look at the eD stuff. Does anyone have a picture of an amp mounted on the trunk? It looks like there's plenty of space to do it, I think I'd just have to screw into the metal to get it stay up there. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never seen the inside of a MZ3 trunk, so feel free to totally disregard this, but I'd be most concerned with the shelf being able to support the weight of the amplifier. Why not mount it under the seat? It appears to be a fairly compact amp (note I didn't actually look at its dimensions).

I would also recommend replacing the radio with an aftermarket HU, but if you want to retain the factory-looking dash, the CleanSweep would be the answer, I suppose. I have no experience with them and have heard no comments from someone with first-hand experience. But I assume they work well. JL's overpriced, but they do make quality gear.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I didn't assume anything. I clicked on the link in the post about the ED speakers and it took me to a page where speakers with cheap stamped baskets were shown.

If I would have seen this frame instead I would have had a much different opinion. I am not as much of a fan boy of Focal as you think I am El Ropo. I like my Focals, but I am perfectly aware that there are other very good speakers out there.

That is a very well-designed frame, and if it is die cast aluminum like it appears, it may well be an even better frame than the fiberglass-filled resin frames of the Focals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts