Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the proper procedure to reset the ecu other than unhooking the - terminal and letting it sit.

is there a set amount of time that it has to sit for?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've also done these things - don't know which, if either, works better...

1. After removing the cable from the battery get back in the car and turn on the lights &/or depress the brake. Then reconnect.
2. Detacth both battery cables from the battery and touch them together. Then reconnect them to their proper terminals.

The reason for doing this is to discharge the capacitors.

Maybe a real mazda mechanic will comment.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
remove negative, do two high beams and reconect the negative...worked every time lost the trip and the clock on the radio

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Yeah do the brake light or high beam bit. Otherwise it might have to sit for a little while to completely discharge the electrical system. I unhooked the battery cable briefly to reset things. It did kill my radio presets and it seemed like the computer was relearning, but I still had my tripometer readings...normally those are gone as well if it sits long enough with the battery unhooked. If you don't do anything it seems to take about 2 minutes to make sure everything is completely discharged.
-Matt

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
[quote author=Nighthawk link=topic=46622.msg719639#msg719639 date=1147583153]

1. After removing the cable from the battery get back in the car and turn on the lights &/or depress the brake. Then reconnect.
2. Detacth both battery cables from the battery and touch them together. Then reconnect them to their proper terminals.

[/quote]

Thats the proper way of doing it without having it hooked up to a computer to do a software reset.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sorry for the nOOb question, but why would one want to reset the ECU?

I know you can reset the trip computer manually. The radio presets however I don't think you can, but again why would you want to?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
[quote author=Devo1255 link=topic=46622.msg725976#msg725976 date=1147915947]
Sorry for the nOOb question, but why would one want to reset the ECU?

I know you can reset the trip computer manually. The radio presets however I don't think you can, but again why would you want to?
[/quote]

after any mod its good to reset the ecu for it to realern his maps and to take advantage of the modification

·
Registered
695 Posts
i always do this as well...although someone told me that with our ecu, it will automatically make adjustments acording to mods etc...? anyone else hear this?

·
Registered
475 Posts
It'll adjust given time, maybe a week... But the reset is to wipe the ecm's slate clean for that instant gratification!! :shock:

·
Registered
1 Posts

What if the cam and crank shaft sensor have signal going into the ecu?, but the injector and coil does not have signal? Or spark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts