Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not positive this belongs here...but

I am looking into converting my 3 to run on propane, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this type of conversion. Also, maybe some of of the guys running a standalone can chime in with some insight into fuel managment. I appreciate any wisdom people can provide.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
isnt propane more of a diesel thing?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
No, gas powered cars can convert.

My city has converted many of it's Focus', Neons and Tauras's to natural gas. A local taxi fleet converted its' Crown Vics to natural gas. I've taken trips in a couple of those taxis. They smell and the large tanks take up a lot of cargo room.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
are propane and natural gas conversions comparable? I've herd of plenty of propane mods used on diesel trucks as a performance mod. And I have herd of normal cars converted to natural gas but never gasoline to natural gas. I never new that existed, what are the benefits?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Propane and natural gas are pretty much the same thing.

The benefits of running natural gas are mainly for emissions (there may be cost or MPG savings but I'm not sure).

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
propane conversions are very popular in offroading because the engine can run at extreme angles. it's pretty proven.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main benefits of propane is the emmisson reductions and the lower fuel cost (typically 60% depending where you source it). The other benefits can include performance, due to propanes' 105-110 octane rating, and propane is 90% domestically sourced.

I have seen alot of info for rock crawlers and fleet vehicles, but not alot evidence for fuel injected 4 cylinder engines.

You can get a factory honda civic that runs on natural gas, but the fuel delivery systems are diffent because propane is a liquid that vaporizes and is then combusted, where natural gas is always in a gas form.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
i new i want totally wrong, that there is a major difference between natural gas and propane. I have never herd of propane use on a small car either, you'd need a whole new fuel delivery system for it, and a means to control rate of flow and manage afrs, and learn what afrs are safe with propane. Beings propane is rate at about 105 to 110 octane you can run some CRAZY compression making the car very efficient or very powerful. I love the idea of using other fuel sources, its a good learning experience. I personally always wanted to convert a little TDI into a McDonalds grease burner, i hear its really quite simple.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
you wouldn't need a fuel pump to run natty gas or propane, since its under pressure you'd need a regulator.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
ford makes a great deal of natural gas fleet vehicles. maybe you can look at part of a focus drivetrain. the focus c-max is also pretty close to the mazda5.

you might also look at sourcing a diesel 3, getting the 1.6 and setting it up for biodisel. adding propane injection for more torque and power would be your natural gas option. it burns more completely too, so you get a few more mpgs.

i can imagine this is quite cost prohibitive....

·
Registered
239 Posts
[quote author=snowman_31 link=topic=155825.msg3320932#msg3320932 date=1252704517]
I'm not positive this belongs here...but

I am looking into converting my 3 to run on propane, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this type of conversion. Also, maybe some of of the guys running a standalone can chime in with some insight into fuel managment. I appreciate any wisdom people can provide.
[/quote]

You mentioned emissions. Is that the primary reason you want to covert?

·
Registered
440 Posts
[quote author=Mizzle link=topic=155825.msg3321292#msg3321292 date=1252726249]
or run ethanol. You can distill it yourself and all it takes is special rubbers where the fuel will be, new pump, new fuel map to run higher-octane.
[/quote]

You MUST denature ethanol, or you run into serious issues with the ATF.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
how will the ethanol effect the automatic transmission fluid?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
[quote author=c_thur link=topic=155825.msg3322757#msg3322757 date=1252866615]
bureau of alcohol tobacco and firearms?

cant have people siphoning your car outside of the bar.
[/quote]

:dur: I'm special lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts