Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im scheduled to go to circuit city on Sunday to have a viper remote start/alarm installed. I already purchased a spare key to be used for the bypass, but it just dawned on me that i might have to have the key cut to program it. Can i program the chip in the spare key with out it being cut? Logical thinking is leading me to say no and since its 4am i wont be able to test it out till morning. If i need to get it cut, can i take it to a home depot or lowes? I hope that i don't need to take a trip to the dealer tomorrow as i think there parts department closes early on Saturday. Im going to try to program the uncut key in the morning but what do you guys think about my situation?

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
The way you program a key in is by inserting the programmed keys into the ignition, turning it to on and then back to lock in less than 5 seconds. You do that with every key and poof! they're programmed.

So yes you need to cut it. You can get it done anywhere that cuts keys. If they say they can't because the Mazda module doesn't work then ask them to try the Ford one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So how did the installation go at CC? What did you ended up getting and are happy with it? I am planning on going to CC as well, since I do not have any non-shady stereo places around my area.

Thanks

JC

[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=68535.msg1184390#msg1184390 date=1170493575]
Im scheduled to go to circuit city on Sunday to have a viper remote start/alarm installed.
[/quote]

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It went well at CC. I used to work there so i have friends that install. Besides the work they did they gave me half off. :D Cant complain with that.

I went with the viper 791xv. I bought it on ebay and had it installed at CC. If i was going to purchase another alarm though i would go with the cheaper model. I used to have a python alarm/rs with the leds instead of the lcd and it was just as good. Oh well though it was only 50 bucks more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts