Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are their amps any good?? I used to have one in my old system and I was more than happy with it but at the same time it was the only amp I had ever owned so I had nothing to compare it to...

I am looking at picking up this amp for my eD 8" sub (200 RMS, 400 MAX)...
http://www.millionbuy.com/prfap400.html

or should I spend a little more and get like an Audiobahn or Rockford Fosgate???

· Registered
2,901 Posts
My friend got one about 2 years ago, he got the Ca1200 from ikesound. Worked well and pushed his compvr pretty close to its limit.

My brother now has my friends truck, with that same amp still pumping away.

Best ~100 dollar amp for the money

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=WetsuitxNinja link=topic=64981.msg1114415#msg1114415 date=1166636395]
Btw id take profile over audiobahn.... and go with an amp that will put out a bit more power.

http://www.millionbuy.com/prfap1000.html

[email protected] 4ohms, but expect it to be less power than that.

[/quote]

I am kinda new to stereos.. I can install but when I comes to numbers I dont know what they mean.. Now if my sub has a 200watt RMS 400watt MAX rating and I am pushing 480watts RMS off that amp doesnt that pose a problem??

I just dont want to blow anything..

· Registered
612 Posts
profile is a quality amp. It's not quite as main-stream as many other brands, but i've always had pretty good experience with them. I've installed one in a buddies car a couple years ago and it still working great. My neighbor used 3 over the years with good results each time. They get "Zorms Affordable Seal of Approval"

· Registered
11 Posts
that amp may say its pushing what it is,and it might but i can assure you teh sound quality and durabilty is gonna suck. Fork out he extra $20 get the sony 600 watt one from walmart. it says 600 but after all said and done you'll be pushing about 325 to that sub and using it the way you should be. And if i were you i would invest in a new sub in the future. like a Bazooka 10" sub..Handles 400 rms 800 max..Goes down to 15hz up to 30khz. I know you probably dont understand what that means... It means it would hit bass so low youd feel it in your gut...real bass isnt heard...its felt!!!

· Registered
1,553 Posts
It looks like a nicely designed amp to me. I like the lack of gimmicky styling. The price isn't so low as to be suspicious. It would be really hard for a Sony of any kind to be better than this amp, since Sony is very often selling their name rather than offering any superior quality.

There is a site somewhere (I don't have the link here) that shows you amplifier guts from several hundred different car amps. If you google around you can find it.

I found the site. Just search for "Car Amplifier Guts" in google.

JL Audio 300/2
2 x 150W @ 1.5 to 4 ohms
1 x 300W @ 3 to 8 ohms bridged

Profile Baja BA400 (I suspect this is a close cousin to the one you posted)
2 x 100W @ 4 ohms
2 x 150W @ 2 ohms
1 x 300W @ 4 ohms bridged

The JLAudio looks a bit more beefy, but not a lot. The profile is an OK amp for the price.
The ones you don't want are those with almost nothing inside the case.

· Registered
3,120 Posts
[quote author=loud3inprogress link=topic=64981.msg1114970#msg1114970 date=1166652736]
that amp may say its pushing what it is,and it might but i can assure you teh sound quality and durabilty is gonna suck. Fork out he extra $20 get the sony 600 watt one from walmart. it says 600 but after all said and done you'll be pushing about 325 to that sub and using it the way you should be. And if i were you i would invest in a new sub in the future. like a Bazooka 10" sub..Handles 400 rms 800 max..Goes down to 15hz up to 30khz. I know you probably dont understand what that means... It means it would hit bass so low youd feel it in your gut...real bass isnt heard...its felt!!!
[/quote]

oh yea sony is sooo much better......especially sony stuff now days....let alone coming from walmart where its been on and off of three semis, and handles by 12 different people by the time its thrown on the shelf.... and why bazooka!??!?! :lol: 15hz....you cant hear that low!!! and who cares about 30khz...if a sub reached that high, its not a true subwoofer!!! also bass is felt because of sound pressure...hearing and feeling are two different senses....

· Registered
2,901 Posts
Sound quality will 99% not be affected by the amp type\brand givin that its putting out the power, gain is set properly, and the filters are set correctly.

What *Typically* happens is ppl that dont know how to set up an amp usually buy cheaper stuff. Bass Boost + 10000, gain maxed out, and filter allowing the sub to play up to 200hz.

So yes, a higher end amp will have less distortion, but when its for a sub, you will not notice it.

Nothing wrong with sony amps, specially because you can fry them and take them back to walmart and there will be no questions asked.

If you are playing your sub over 100hz, wtf.

Typically you set your subsonic filter alittle above what the sub can play, or around where you tuned your box. Set the low pass filter to 80hz

If you are playing higher frequencies than that, yikes...

· Registered
1,553 Posts
MillionBuy.com has the PowerAcoustic LT980 for only $79.00

sounds suspiciously LOW. Here are the guts:

2 x 220W @ 4 ohms (0.02% THD)
2 x 280W @ 2 ohms
1 x 560W @ 4 ohms bridged
S/N Ratio: >98dB
Channel Separation: >55dB
Freq. Response: 10Hz ∼ 30kHz
Fuse: 4 x 25A

Other than the price being low, it is really hard to tell how the transistors are heat-sinked on this amp. There is not enough fins on the sides, but it could be that there is a lot of metal that I can't see to connect the transistors to the finned top plate (which is on the bottom in the picture).

BTW I bought something else -some Polk speakers - from Millionbuy at a great discount from list, and it was an utter ripoff even though the price was so low. I think they buy up stuff that didn't sell because it was lousy. So I am suspicious.

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Geesh I didn't notice the price on Millionbuy for the profile amp. They are giving away a free tweeters (probably rather crappy peizoelectric) just to encourage people to buy it. $50 for 400 watts is probably TOO GOOD to be true. I can find no references to the amp anywhere either other than the website.

· Registered
2,901 Posts
Ive had the Hifonics brutus amps, they work well and put out decent power for the price... its a few hundred less than what its rated for, I believe they rate them at 14.4 which is kinda a joke, and most cars wont be able to get the amp that much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.