Mazda3 Forums banner

Is Auto trans. downshifting without acceleration normal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I noticed my 04 3i seemed to be downshifting in the 4th gear even though I was NOT accelerating. And once it would downshift, it would almost clunk or bang down to the 3rd gear. It has never done this. I took it to the dealership and they ran a diagnostic and found nothing wrong.. the check engine light never went on either. They said they even test drove it for 30 miles.. has anyone else experienced this before? please help!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Wrong place to ask. This is a Mazdaspeed 3 forum and mazdaspeed 3s do not have auto trans.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had something kinda similar happen to me on the highway a few weeks ago. I think I had my auto in 5th gear going about 70 up a hill and I had it in manumatic mode. I was going 70 and all of the sudden, the car downshifted into 3rd. I didn't think that the car was supposed to shift on its own unless it had to, and my revs were not extremely low when it downshifted two gears.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i agree with kspec, this looks like the right forum to me, anyway, fully auto will shift up or down according to engine load, in manumatic, it will shift down, but never up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts