Mazda3 Forums banner

Problems with eyelids

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  john_in_the_lbc 
#1 ·
I got some PartsPlaza eyelids from the Groupbuy for my 09 (bought in dec 08) pearl white mica mazda hatch s. I have had them for about 2 weeks and finally got to installing them today to get ready for the local meet next sunday. While test fitting them yesterday I noticed that the colors were a bit different. I took some pics after installing them today because I am not quite won over that the colors are actually the same. Along with the color the fit seems to be a bit off too.

:(

See less See more
#2 ·
for starters, its near impossible to color match without both parts.

you can paint two things with the same batch of paint 4 hours apart and end up with different results

not only that, but I can guarantee your bumper and fender don't match perfectly either because they are different materials.

as for fit, the fit doesn't look terrible from what i can see in your photos

#3 ·
the pearl whites are tough to match, and mine also did not match although my car is whitewater pearl.
i opted for non painted because i was also not super happy with the fit and it allowed me to shape it better before painting them black (for now) and mounting them.
others have found the fit to be fine, so there may be some variation.
also, if you use the very strong 3M industrial strength tape, you can improve the positioning by mounting that tip first, and then working the rest into postion. if that's a dry fit, you can prolly do much better when mounting for real.

#5 ·
yup. when i had my GV lip painted, the guy took the tow hook cover so he could match it better. multi-step paints are not easy unless you have something to match (and even then...).

#6 ·
everyone's eyes are different. so i would say if it isn't painted with the exact same batch and at the exact same time and the exact same way and exact same amount, it may not match. however most of the time it's close enough to where no one can tell... to me it looks like your hood may be a bit dirty or something. the second and third pics looks good, but the first the hood looks a bit yellow or brown, and being white, that may be the problem? try some clay bar.

#7 ·
[quote author=ih82cu link=topic=138600.msg2986846#msg2986846 date=1236739419]
It is right what he said and you will never get the act same color thats on your car becaus it is factory painted and the eye lids aren't. Do you have some more pics of the car with the eye lids from other angles, more further away.
[/quote]

The problem is that I can't move them any further outside without them overlapping the body panel, but as you can see the curve on the top of it does not match up with the inside of the fender.

#8 ·
I bought a set of lids, painted WWP (25D). I had them on for a couple of months, and then I removed them because I was never happy with the color match. I thought it was just me, and then I talked with LBC, and John told me he had the same problem too. My lids did fit fine though, it was just the color match that was the problem.

Darryl

#11 ·
i think he just has a heavier pearl coat...that's why 3 step paints are hard to match.

#13 ·
here's how mine look now...i dremel/sanded the lid to fit the curve of the fender.

the red area is what I removed because it touched the fender rather than matching the curve of the fender. Actually, I shaved off 1/16" along most of that top edge, because it was too close (imo) to the fender. I wanted an even gap (or at least close)

I guess you could pull it in further but I wanted the edge of the fender (parallel to the hood) to flow perfectly into the curve of the bevel in on the eyelids

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.