Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know how to describe this problem that I am experiencing once in a awhile. So ok I start up my car warm it up abit and then step on the brake pedals and then shift the gear into D and then release the handbrake. So once I release the handbrake there would be a huge clunking or thumping noise following with a bit of force coming from the back of my car like someone hiting my car from behind slightly and then my back suspension and back end of my car would itself slightly. This have happened to me for like 5 or 6times already and I am kind of nervous cuz I have not experienced this with any car I have driven before. So have you guys experienced this problem with your Mz3 and does anyone know what seems to be the problem? Iam not sure if this is caused by the handbrake, braking system or any other parts of the car . I hope I haven't broken or screwed up my car majorly. thanks for any replys hope you guys understood what I said.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Probably just your back pads that were stuck to the rotors due to humidity and/or cold. But without actually been there when you problem happen, just go to the dealer and make sure everything is ok. But I'm 95% sure it's just that....Experienced same kind of thing once in a while when it was -30 here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Also, Try this: Start car, apply foot brake, release hand brake then shift into drive. If you shift into drive first it applies forward pressure onto the handbrake, then when you release the handbrake it feels like the car lurches forward a bit. So be sure to Release the Handbrake BEFORE shifting into drive.
You also want to be sure, when turning off the car, to do it in this sequence: Shift to Park, apply Handbrake, release footbrake, turn off car. This, again releaves the pressure from the emergency Brake and this may fix the noises and perceived motion you are experiencing.

·
Registered
656 Posts
SP33D said:
... Start car, apply foot brake, release hand brake then shift into drive ... So be sure to Release the Handbrake BEFORE shifting into drive.
Actually, you're not supposed to do what you just said. Atleast not here in Vancouver anyways.
Remember GLP (Graduate Licensing Program) Vancouverites??? :lol:

·
Registered
238 Posts
rsx_r04 said:
SP33D said:
... Start car, apply foot brake, release hand brake then shift into drive ... So be sure to Release the Handbrake BEFORE shifting into drive.
Actually, you're not supposed to do what you just said. Atleast not here in Vancouver anyways.
Remember GLP (Graduate Licensing Program) Vancouverites??? :lol:
i dont remember this.......haha.....what order is it supposed to be in?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Say the car (automatic) is stopped...
You get in, turn the ignition on, press the brake pedal, put the car in drive, release the hand brake, and then off you go!

·
Registered
238 Posts
rsx_r04 said:
Say the car (automatic) is stopped...
You get in, turn the ignition on, press the brake pedal, put the car in drive, release the hand brake, and then off you go!
really?? wow.......i never knew about this......
hahahaa...........oh well......i passed :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
i'm 20
and yeah.........i went thru the GLP
but i had a really ez time taking my "N" off....person was really nice.....i only drove for like 30 min and no highway

·
Registered
481 Posts
M3-GT said:
Probably just your back pads that were stuck to the rotors due to humidity and/or cold. But without actually been there when you problem happen, just go to the dealer and make sure everything is ok. But I'm 95% sure it's just that....Experienced same kind of thing once in a while when it was -30 here.
yup exactly... the pads are sticking to the discs... shouldnt cause a problem but if they stick really good one day it could break a piece of pad right off... try not applying the hand brake really hard... just enough clicks to hold the car

·
Registered
656 Posts
turtle said:
but i had a really ez time taking my "N" off....person was really nice.....i only drove for like 30 min and no highway
Lucky guy. My test was almost an hour long, and the guy asked me to do all kinds of different things. Like telling him what "hazards" do i see while i was driving... and i had to talk for a good few minutes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts