Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...ok, more like sunroof drip.
went thru an auto touchless carwash yesterday and had the sunshade slid back so i could see what was going on. as the high-pressure rinse passed over the car, a few drops fell in. also, when going thru the dryer it sounded really loud, like there was a small air leak

anyways, this doesnt happen in the rain or anything so its not a huge deal, but its never happened in any other car ive driven (except an old land rover, but who cares)

anyone else experience this? let it slide, or take it in to dealership?

EDIT: Thread title :twisted:

·
Registered
273 Posts
high pressure water is always gonna make it drip since its pushing it down
hell my moms BMW does it and the dealer says its can't be fixed becuase the water is always gonna push it down a little to make some sort of leak

·
Registered
144 Posts
HavE to agree. Very high water pressure will make any moon/sun roof show a few drops. But since it is new the dealership might do another coat of silicone, etc. to help the situation.

Kevin

·
Registered
773 Posts
I don't mean to disagree with some of the above statements, but I've done the touchless car wash twice now with a high pressure hose, and nary a leak has appeared. And I use the super-high pressure wash to clean off the hard-water spots that appear due to my neighbor's sprinklers and the high mineral content of our municipal water.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a '88 RX-7 Convertible that does not leak at all when I take it through an auto touchless carwash. If a 16 year old convertible does not leak, than a brand new sedan/hatchback with a sunroof should not leak either.

Heffy

·
Registered
563 Posts
A convertible is sealed differently than a sunroof. THe sunroof shouldn't necessarily leak, but if you force enough water against a seal, it's bound to leak. Also, I don't remember how the sunroof retracts, but if it lowers at all, the pressure would push the sunroof down breaking the seal.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My 1997 Intrepid ES is now 7 years old and the moonroof has NEVER leaked and I take it to the touchless car wash twice a month. If it's brand new and leaking, take it and get it looked at. Maybe the seal got damaged on the boat coming over?

BTW my sunroof retracts down and not up so some of those theories are no good either. I think I'll be avoiding the 6 CD/Moonroof package...

·
Registered
63 Posts
well honestly, I would never take my car to a touchless. I always can do a better job cleaning the car myself then some high pressure robot thingy can do.

Do they have one of those DIY carwashs with the high pressure hoses? I find those to be useful or the common house hose.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You can push water past the seal but it's pretty rare. I'd take it in and get them to look at it however unless you are finding this a big issue I'd just wait until you have to go to the dealership for something else.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
cowtown said:
You can push water past the seal but it's pretty rare. I'd take it in and get them to look at it however unless you are finding this a big issue I'd just wait until you have to go to the dealership for something else.
I agree....have it checked.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
teklis said:
well honestly, I would never take my car to a touchless. I always can do a better job cleaning the car myself then some high pressure robot thingy can do.
true, but thats not really possible in the winter

anyways, ill mention it to the dealer when it goes in for oil change #1

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Have it checked - I've driven 6 different moonroofed cars, not one leaked before it's time - and even then it was a 1976 VW Bus, the one witha Porche engine... FUN!

·
Registered
63 Posts
sorry to hear that......perhaps they will just slap on a new moonroof and check the seals or something.....but either way you can be sure I will be checking my future car for the same issue.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Passed through those car washes 2x with my Mazda3 and it never leaked. Only when passing through the dryer, some wind passed through the seal, but I guess it's normal, since the wind is like tornado force coming out of those fans.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts