Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant believe it! I got the oil changed (5000km's) and the oil change company put in the wrong oil filter. We put on 200 km's and parked the car for the night. the next morning my fiance went to start the car, it started fine, so she went inside to let it warm up, only to find when she went back to the car it had stalled and then couldn't get it going. So she called Mazda roadside, and when we were putting the car on the flatbed we noticed a shit load of oil under the car. upon going under the car I found the oil filter sitting on the under side of the skid plate :shock: . The car was than taken to Mazda where they ran a compression test and found 0 compression! Now Mazdas saying it will be 3-4 months for a new motor from Japan and we're stuck driving a crappy corolla. UNREAL.
Caution to anyone getting their oil change, Take It To Mazda to get done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually Mazda's service guys told me that I was the 4th 3 to have this happen, but the mazda sales reps and manager denies this.

·
Registered
238 Posts
crappy corolla?? hey!! that's my old car!!!
hahahahahahahahaha

anywayz.....tough luck......that sux.....

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Are you paying for a new engine or is Mazda?

I always take my PRO to Mazda for svc: usually cheaper than Can Tire, better technicians, can negotiate on price (a little), can check out other Mazdas...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
man! how can they put in the wrong oil filter is it that hard?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mazda is quoting a price of $10 000 to replace the motor which the oil change company is going to cover. I went to Mazda and requested a new car instead of just a new engine for several reasons, (car sitting in their used car lot for 3-4 months not being moved, hard on suspension and tires, battery etc.. also the chance of the car getting scratched during re and re, and my biggest concern is no longer matching #'s. ) But Mazda doesn't want to go this route or even give me a hand with trying to convince the oil change company.. Thanks Mazda!!!!!!!

Everyone i talk to says don't accept a new motor, go for the new car! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I hate to say this, but it's not Mazda's fault that someone else screwed up.

If you serviced it there and it happened a new 3 might be in order, but after you take it somewhere else, what do you expect? They treat people that do their svc there differently...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man I'm not trying to get Mazda to pay for a new car, I was just looking for them to help out in the way of telling the oil change company the side effects of my car sitting in their lot for such a long period of time. Also that by the time everything is said and done and we have our car back, I'm sure there isn't going to be much difference in cost. (10000 for motor,cost of rental for 3-4 months, chance of future problems due to original motor siezing etc...) Also it would be another car sale for Mazda and they could sell my car with a new motor in it as a demo car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Work the other angle... don't try to convince MAZDA, try to convince the oil change company. Sue them for the replacement of your mazda. Don't just accept the fact that they'll replace the engine. It'd be a tough sell and some lawyer fees. If this was the US, that'd be the FIRST thing you'd do. But being in Canada, we're a little nicer and the laws are harder to sue people for stuff like this. Is it a big name oil change company or a small mom & pop shop? If its a big name, they might settle out with you for that. Insurance would probably cover it for them anyway. So you'd be battling their insurance company and not them.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car! That truly bites, something as simple as an oil change will ruin the car!

I don't know much about the laws in your area, but the best you can probably do to help would be to get legal advice from a professional/lawyer. They probably would know the besy way to resolve this situation and can litigate agreements (and your lemon law) properly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a big name oil company, and they probably know better than to say f**k off. I don't think it would be good for business.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yea, who's gonna pay for the lost of enjoyment? I would sue them for that :twisted:

·
Registered
882 Posts
5000KMS? Holy cow you must have been driving that car like crazy to put that kind of KMS on it. I've had mine since Dec. 9th and only have 2700kms on it with 2 600km road trips.

anyways...

"Take It To Mazda to get done."

Geeze, who would have thought that would be good advice? I'm sorry about your luck with that, really. However there is no cost savings to going to a quick lube place over the Mazda dealer (only $25-29cdn at the Mazda dealer) and you really don't have to worry about this kind of thing happening. I didn't mind taking my older out of warranty cars to the quick lube places but there are more things a Mazda dealer does at your first service/oil change than just swap the oil. You are always better off taking the car in to your dealer, especially for the first few changes.

I have a question though.... I thought the oil filter on this car was a cartridge style, not a barrel style filter. What did they install?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
You know what I just realized? This actually belongs in Powerplant. Sorry guys - have to move it. Please continue there - I;m really curious how this oil change was done.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts