Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Description:
When performing a U-turn at a velocity of +20km/h, a "rubbing" sound is heard coming from the front left wheel well.

Frquency:
Often when the steering wheel is all the way pull to the left.

Severity:
Serious. As this problem happens everytime and no idea where the problem is coming from.

Customer Modification:
Changes from 17" Goodyear to 16" Hankooks winter tires

Build Date:
10/03.

Version:
3 Sedan, GT GFX.

Anyone experienced the same sound coming from the front wheel well?

Anyone might know the cause of the problem?

Please advise.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I have a NA Mazda3 S without the sports package (16'' toyo tires). My turning ratio, especially u-turns, is smooth without any signs of rubbing. Not sure why your experiencing the rubbing when you went from bigger to smaller tires...

·
Registered
882 Posts
No to minimize your problem Fobby (which I haven't seen) it's like that old joke. A guy goes into a doctor and says, doc it hurts when I do this and the doctor replies "then don't do that." ;)

I do know that most manufacturers recommend that you don't hold the steering in one direction or the other for very long, I'm sure during a U-turn you aren't but there you are. At any rate does it actually sound like the tire is rubbing? Can you see rub marks on the tires or the inner fender splash sheilds?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had the time to look at the wheel yet really. but it only happens when I do a left U-turn, not right. When I get off work, it's usually too late... maybe i will just get them to check it out during my first oil change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm assuming you got new rims with your Hankooks as well, since the tires are 16" rather than 17".
How wide are your rims? Can you tell us the tire size? IE: 205/35/16, etc. If you're running really wide tires, or the offset on your new rims is wrong, that would cause it to rub on turns.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm i don't remember, I will have to check it out later and post it up here. Thanks for all your help guys.

but it was a dealer installed option. so it "should" fit right? grrrr.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Should certainly fit. Checking the fender area is your best bet to see if it's rubbing, also check the shock too, it may not rub on the inner fender but could rub there if you tire bulged enough I would imagine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a good friend that works at a Mazda dealership as a porter... He said that sometimes the dealer forgets to take out the blocks that hold the suspension compressed for shipping. They put them in there so the car doesn't bounce all over the place while they are on the truck. With them in, it will cause the car to pull and they will rub on the tire. He said the only way to check if they are still in there is to decompress the suspension (jack it up) and look. So just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts