Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed from reading numerous posts that some have been having a problem with their battery being weak. I think I am having the same problem, because when the car is idling and I turn the steering wheel the lights dim quite a bit. I know that the power steering is an electro/hydraulic system, and it has the right to draw power when used, but id shouldn’t dim the light.

Has any one experienced a similar problem? If so, did you do anything about it? I called my dealer and have an appointment set up to have them check it out. Unfortunately it won’t be for another two weeks as they are very busy.

EDIT: Thread title :twisted:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Actually I don't think its a problem. The electro-hydrolic system that the steering runs off of is a separate motor independent of the engine (so it doesn't sap HP). I would assume that they tied it to the same power sources that the auxilary systems run off of (lighting, environmental control). Yes, mine do dim as well, and if you listen close the air circulation fan quiets down also.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why would you be sitting still...at idle...and check the lights while you turn the steering wheel?

Just wondering,

Most cars will dip the rpms when the load is put on the power steering system.

Electro/hydraulic or otherwise.

There is no problem..The battery wil show itself as a slow crank if it is going bad.

·
Registered
481 Posts
rpc180 said:
Actually I don't think its a problem. The electro-hydrolic system that the steering runs off of is a separate motor independent of the engine (so it doesn't sap HP). I would assume that they tied it to the same power sources that the auxilary systems run off of (lighting, environmental control). Yes, mine do dim as well, and if you listen close the air circulation fan quiets down also.
exactly... its not a problem at all... my P5 did the same thing and it didnt have electro-hydraulic steering... i all has to do with load on the electrical system.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Same

Yup, that's the old test is to stay idle and turn your wheel to see how high your RPMs go with the conventional power steering system off the engine.

With electro-hydraulic, it's going to take some power out of the electrical system to help your gas out. It's not unusual (especially in cold weather with an electric motor) to get some extra noise from the system, or some dimming light effects. Heck, I used to get dimming lights from putting my power windows down in my Civic. No biggy.

I know it's slightly annoying, but I'm affraid taking it to the dealership is going to be a "that's normal" scenerio, but in this case they're right.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! You have put my mind at ease, but either way I have the appoitment made at the dealer, so I'll let you know what they say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts