Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering if anyone has noticed any interior rattles/creaks/etc in the interior of the 3. Those sort of things drive me nuts, and I've heard someone say that the floorboards/cargo cover in the Hatch can make some noise. Sometimes those things can take a while to develop, but they can also be aggravated by the cold, which I know plenty of 3 owners have had exposure to. So what's happening inside? Any annoyances?

EDIT: Title

·
Registered
889 Posts
Re: Interior rattles?

mazda3hatch said:
I've been wondering if anyone has noticed any interior rattles/creaks/etc in the interior of the 3. Those sort of things drive me nuts, and I've heard someone say that the floorboards/cargo cover in the Hatch can make some noise. Sometimes those things can take a while to develop, but they can also be aggravated by the cold, which I know plenty of 3 owners have had exposure to. So what's happening inside? Any annoyances?
Did you test drive your car before purchasing? Not all Mazda3s are created equal, some are just assembled better than others. My car doesn't make any interior rattle/creaking noises. I learned my lesson after buying my 2000 Maxima, that car had 4 miles on the odometer and had all the protective stickers so I thought it would be the best one on the lot. Needless to say, it rattled like a mofo. I test drive the hell out of my cars now before I sign the papers. My 2003 Maxima is also rattle free.

P.S. the car dealers will do stuff like under inflate the tires, and the salesman would turn up the radio during test drives to elimate those unwanted noises...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

n1smo said:
Did you test drive your car before purchasing? Not all Mazda3s are created equal, some are just assembled better than others. My car doesn't make any interior rattle/creaking noises. I learned my lesson after buying my 2000 Maxima, that car had 4 miles on the odometer and had all the protective stickers so I thought it would be the best one on the lot. Needless to say, it rattled like a mofo. I test drive the hell out of my cars now before I sign the papers. My 2003 Maxima is also rattle free.
Well, yes I have test driven a 3, twice actually, but I haven't bought one yet. It can be impossible to determine how solid an interior will be just from a test drive. Parts and joints can loosen up over time, and weather is certainly a factor.

·
Registered
889 Posts

mazda3hatch said:
Well, yes I have test driven a 3, twice actually, but I haven't bought one yet. It can be impossible to determine how solid an interior will be just from a test drive. Parts and joints can loosen up over time, and weather is certainly a factor.
OIC, thought you were having problems with rattles... What are you driving right now?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have another thread regarding rattles. i didn't test drive the very car that i bought, but it had 8 miles on it and the protective stickers. i got a strata blue hatchback with an automatic transmission. the front right door rattles from the door handle area. it drives me absolutely nuts. i must say though, that the other three doors are rock-solid and that there are no other noises coming from the car. the dealership is going to look at it tomorrow morning, and i'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
tito_jackson said:
the front right door rattles from the door handle area. it drives me absolutely nuts. i must say though, that the other three doors are rock-solid and that there are no other noises coming from the car. the dealership is going to look at it tomorrow morning, and i'll let you know how it goes.
i have the same thing here, especially when im playing bass-ey music
nobody else notices it, but it drives me insane

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

n1smo said:
OIC, thought you were having problems with rattles... What are you driving right now?
Right now, I drive an '03 Toyota Tundra Stepside. Great truck, I'll be sorry to let it go, but it's bad on gas and the payment is high. Having a truck is always nice "just in case", but the truth is that I haven't got my money's worth out of it so far, and don't anticipate that changing anytime soon. I have had very few rattle problems with it, only when it gets very very cold. I just wondered if the 3 was gonna be worse considering it's pretty much a step down as far as class of vehicle goes.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

mazda3hatch said:
I just wondered if the 3 was gonna be worse considering it's pretty much a step down as far as class of vehicle goes.
What is it with you guys? Just b/c a car is not a land barge, it doesn't mea n it can't be great.

A Mazda3 is so much more car than a Malibu, Camry, Taurus...

Why do you equate size w/desirability (strictly talking cars here :lol: ) ?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I think they're going on the assumption that since it's the base model in Mazda's line that it's an inferior product to a overpriced truck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm so in love with this car, I gives a damn what other ppl thinks. :p

The Tundra is a sweet truck, but no, it will not be a downgrade going to the Mazda 3. You'll find that the MZ3 is in a class of its own. :D

However, you'll miss the power... hehe I'm still getting used to the fact that nothing happens when I step on the gas.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

dinu01 said:
mazda3hatch said:
I just wondered if the 3 was gonna be worse considering it's pretty much a step down as far as class of vehicle goes.
What is it with you guys? Just b/c a car is not a land barge, it doesn't mea n it can't be great.

A Mazda3 is so much more car than a Malibu, Camry, Taurus...

Why do you equate size w/desirability (strictly talking cars here :lol: ) ?
And why is it that you equate the fun factor with the overall class of the vehicle? I'm not trying to slam the 3 at all, I think it's an outstanding car - for the money. My wife drives a Camry SE V6. I don't want 2 Camrys, and the 3 is more fun. With that said however, the 3 is most certainly NOT more car than the Camry. Size has nothing to do with it. The Camry is quieter, more refined, has a better sound system, rides better (and consequently handles worse), and the interior materials are better. But that's fine, as it's in a different class than the 3. The Corolla would be what in Toyota's line I would compare to the 3. I wouldn't buy one, I think it's underpowered, feminine, and I don't care for the styling. But nevertheless it is in the same class as the 3.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cowtown said:
I think they're going on the assumption that since it's the base model in Mazda's line that it's an inferior product to a overpriced truck.
Let me explain. I meant more that in moving to a car that cost more than 50% less I would expect to make some compromises. And you know what? I will. I've driven the 3 and it IS inferior to my Tundra in some areas. If you guys can't accept that the 3 is not the best vehicle on the road then you're crazy. With that said, I am planning on buying a 3 and I like it very much. BTW, the Tundra is most certainly not overpriced.

·
Registered
889 Posts

mazda3hatch said:
And why is it that you equate the fun factor with the overall class of the vehicle? I'm not trying to slam the 3 at all, I think it's an outstanding car - for the money. My wife drives a Camry SE V6. I don't want 2 Camrys, and the 3 is more fun. With that said however, the 3 is most certainly NOT more car than the Camry. Size has nothing to do with it. The Camry is quieter, more refined, has a better sound system, rides better (and consequently handles worse), and the interior materials are better. But that's fine, as it's in a different class than the 3. The Corolla would be what in Toyota's line I would compare to the 3. I wouldn't buy one, I think it's underpowered, feminine, and I don't care for the styling. But nevertheless it is in the same class as the 3.
I think the Mazda 3 is more car than the Camry. I guess you are looking into getting the base model 3?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

n1smo said:
I think the Mazda 3 is more car than the Camry. I guess you are looking into getting the base model 3?
Nope, I'm looking at the hatchback with 6 CD, sunroof, and ABS pkg. As for the 3 being "more car" than the Camry, if you're talking value for the money, maybe. Otherwise, sorry it's definately not.

·
Registered
889 Posts

mazda3hatch said:
n1smo said:
Nope, I'm looking at the hatchback with 6 CD, sunroof, and ABS pkg. As for the 3 being "more car" than the Camry, if you're talking value for the money, maybe. Otherwise, sorry it's definately not.
What year is your Camry? Trim level?

·
Registered
889 Posts

mazda3hatch said:
n1smo said:
What year is your Camry? Trim level?
2002 SE V6.
Camry / MZ3
Front Headroom 39.2 in. 39.1 in.
Rear Headroom 38.3 in. 38.4 in.
Front Shoulder Room 57.5 in. 54.9 in.
Rear Shoulder Room 56.7 in. 54 in.
Front Hip Room 54.4 in. 54.9 in.
Rear Hip Room 54.1 in. 53.9 in.
Front Leg Room 41.6 in. 41.9 in.
Rear Leg Room 37.8 in. 36.3 in.
Maximum Luggage Capacity 16.7 cu.ft. 17.1 cu.ft.

Zero to 60 mph: 8.2 sec 7.4 sec
Zero to 90 mph: 18.1 sec ???
Street start, 5–60 mph: 8.4 sec 8.6 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 16.4 sec 16.0 sec
@ 86 mph @ 87 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 190 ft 169 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.78 g 0.87 g
Top speed (governor limited): 120 mph 118 mph
EPA fuel economy, city driving: 20 mpg 25 mpg

The numbers.....

·
Registered
889 Posts
Further more....

Options available are very similar. However, Xenon/TPMS is not an option for the Camry. The MZ3 has 17" wheels, 16" for the Camry. My car has ABS/SAB/SAC package... All this with a car that is rock solid, badass suspension, and an awesome interior design. The Mazda 3 is MORE car. :)

1 - 20 of 182 Posts