Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story made short: had a 2007 MS3 GT, traded it in for a 2005 Honda S2000. I love the S2000 to death, but the impracticalness of it is always a thorn in my side. Can't put anything in it, can only carry a single passenger, noisy with the top up, etc. When the top is down it is a blast, but that's not something I can do 24/7/365.

Hence, I am likely moving back to a Speed3. Local dealer has a 2008 GT w/16k. They want $19995.

Should I get them down to $19000? Or is there room to go lower? I really don't want to spend over $19000, and there's no 2007 GTs around right now or I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
I'd try to get them down... I don't think you'll have a problem. I got mine for $19,000 (2008.5 MS3 GT with 3,000 miles). Mine was private sale... but I'd think a dealer would be more apt to work with you since they want to move their stock.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Yeah, I was going to say... offer $18,500 and see where it takes you. You might be able to get a smashing deal.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well since I'm trading the S2000 in, I'm afraid that they'll just dick me on the trade if I get the car's price down.

i.e. Sell the MS3 for $18k but screw me out of an extra $1k on the trade.

I want to trade because of the huge sales tax savings in IL -- 10% sales tax, but in IL you only pay the tax on the difference when trading.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Well, that does make the sale a bit harder. Tell them your terms and don't be afraid to walk if the price isn't to your liking.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, that's exactly my attitude. I'm in no hurry. The Speed isn't a necessity this very instant. If I have to wait a month to find the one I truly want, then so be it.

Besides, the weather is nice now so I may as well make the most of the convertible... :p

·
Registered
658 Posts
Try selling the s2000 private.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=Cenk link=topic=140039.msg3019047#msg3019047 date=1238092942]
Try selling the s2000 private.
[/quote]

Then I lose the huge sales tax break. It's pretty much a wash between private sale/trade-in. Remember, I have 10% sales tax here.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well one dealer who has some brand new 2008 GTs left just followed up and let me know that Mazda just announced an additional $1000 rebate on unsold 08 Speed3s.

Not sure if this is some BS sales ploy to get me in the door again...but they could be nervous about having 08s left on the lot when there's already a handful of 2010s out front.

Your $0.02?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Wait until tuesday and go in then. Last day of the month still means something. I feel you're right. The little extra money plus the hassle of private sale is usually offset by the tax savings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rebates are supposedly good until the 31st. Which happens to be Tuesday.

The cash incentives are just a line item that whacks X dollars off the price, correct? Equivalent to a bigger cash downpayment?

·
Registered
171 Posts
In this state (AR) you still only pay sales tax the difference of the purchase price and the private sale price. You have X number of days to sell your vehicle within the purchase date to qualify. You may want to check if IL has a similar provision.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nah, too much hassle with bringing it in, titling, etc. Thanks though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They want $21799 - $1000 rebate = $20799 for a brand new 08 GT.

I figure I can talk them down to $20k. Sound good? Seems like a great deal on a brand new car. I need to be careful to get a very solid offer on my trade before getting into MS3 price...easy for them to lowball the trade and fuck you over.

If they won't come down to $20k, maybe I can get them to give me some free accessories? i.e. floormats, nose mask, wheel locks, or whatever else.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Yeah, $20,000 for a brand new GT is great.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's a really good deal... lol. Imagine the comparo magazines if the GT was advertised for 20 grand lol. I would hard sell your trade in to get full value and not get greedy on the 20grand. Even in the bad economy, someone else is going to take advantage of that. Unless they have like 10 on the lot. Good luck, now you just need to find 2 grand in aftermarket parts at the junkyard, oh wait someone already did :x

·
Registered
9 Posts
[quote author=dparm link=topic=140039.msg3021615#msg3021615 date=1238180167]
They want $21799 - $1000 rebate = $20799 for a brand new 08 GT.

I figure I can talk them down to $20k. Sound good? Seems like a great deal on a brand new car. I need to be careful to get a very solid offer on my trade before getting into MS3 price...easy for them to lowball the trade and fuck you over.

If they won't come down to $20k, maybe I can get them to give me some free accessories? i.e. floormats, nose mask, wheel locks, or whatever else.
[/quote]

Around here the dealers have been quick to throw in accessories to close the deal. My friend got the Sirius tuner throw in, plus installed, on a new 6. I would go for the rear cargo mat and cargo net if it were me.

I just picked up an 08.5 GT w/ 7K miles for $19,500 (private). I feel your pain on the used car sales tax ... it works the same here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts