Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on putting in a powered subwoofer with the existing stock stereo? What brand, size, placement would be best? I don't want my car to shake and rattle, but just sound fuller when in the cabin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I choose a hifonics (nemesis nx880) amp and an eathquake DBX-12DR (600RMS) woofer!! And I'll put them in the trunk!!
I don't know where you want to place the amp and woofer....
hm... look at fuel90 post with installing pics!!!

edi

·
Registered
315 Posts
Easiest thing is to put something in the trunk. If you're talented enough and want to keep all of the cargo space, you can modify the dash and place a sub up front. I definitely would NOT suggest this as a first time project with fiberglass :) A guy named Scott Buwalda used to have a site with his car and it had a 10" sub in the middle of the dash pointing up toward the windsheild.

As for suggestions of subs/amps, what is your price range? Would you need someone to install the amp (connecting it to the battery and whatnot)?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
On a tight budget and only looking for a little more depth in your music, I would install a powered Bazooka tube.

No, they will not shatter windows or rumble the crap out of your car, but it will add a little low end grunt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Bazooka tube"

are u on crack?
those are the most pathetic sounding pieces of "poo" u can get on the market.. it's like even crappier than the pioneer "subwoofer system" on the new scions..

i had great experiences with the Infinity Basslink 10".. you mount it right underneath the passenger seat.. (I got one on both our family's legacy and wrx).. and it pounds pretty nicely..
i'm no audiophile but the quality matches the denon/energy system in my house..

on a side note.. has anyone installed a similar setup (i.e. subwoofer+amp all in one units) under the passenger seat?.. ?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
johnjohn said:
"Bazooka tube"

are u on crack?
those are the most pathetic sounding pieces of "poo" u can get on the market.. it's like even crappier than the pioneer "subwoofer system" on the new scions..
Well they used to sound good. Dont know about now.

johnjohn said:
on a side note.. has anyone installed a similar setup (i.e. subwoofer+amp all in one units) under the passenger seat?.. ?
Not all in one, but in a CRX once, the Wall was ported underneath both seats. It was like 40" of port lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
In my current (soon to be old) car, I installed an Infinity Basslink... Its so easy to install, and its pretty compact, you can mount it upright in the corner and you still have a lot of trunk space... The 3 has a lot more trunk space than a 200SX so space is really not an issue with the basslink... and it also comes with a cool little volume remote that you can install in the dash...

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Loaded3 said:
In my current (soon to be old) car, I installed an Infinity Basslink... Its so easy to install, and its pretty compact, you can mount it upright in the corner and you still have a lot of trunk space... The 3 has a lot more trunk space than a 200SX so space is really not an issue with the basslink... and it also comes with a cool little volume remote that you can install in the dash...
Sweet. Back when I was in the business, I never really installed powered subwoofers. They were generally too expensive, or underpowered.

Now Thunderforms and JLs version are very good. But they do need an outboard amp to power them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey Loaded03 how much did you pay for your 3?

·
Registered
327 Posts
ah ok, I wanted to get a fully loaded one too, but it was gonna be a sedan with no leather. But it has everything else.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
bluntman said:
You think the Bazookas are pathetic, I used to have a Pioneer spare tire sub in my 91 Acura Integra coupe.
Those suck ass! I did one in a Honda Accord and the customer was like "WTF, cant even hear it... let along feel it".

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
(evil headbanging music) BLOW IT UP BLOW IT UP (evil music shuts off)

I torchered this one sub... it was some POS fleamarket 12" (rockwood or something of that nature). Plugged that beeyatch into the wall and it POUNDED......

For like 3 secs before the spider ripped and the cone flopped on the box. I was laughing sooo hard.

·
Registered
193 Posts
yeah pretty much... all in one nice little package... they actually have come a long way, they used to sound like crap... it won't shake windows, nor win you first place in shows, they are good for peeps like myself who don't really know too much about car audio, cuz they are so easy to install...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hm... never heard of these... sounds like a good idea for my application. You say they install right under the passanger seat?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Maybe some. Most of them are pretty big, but everything needed to run it is inside.

Connect power, ground, remote, and signal. BAM install complete.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts