Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed my power steering fluid is low. No signs of leaks. The manual calls for “ATF M-III or equivalent (e.g. Dexron® III)”. Any recommendations on which one to use? I was looking at Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. The back of the bottle says “Recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring Dexron III”
What are your thoughts/recommendations. Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
So I noticed my power steering fluid is low. No signs of leaks. The manual calls for “ATF M-III or equivalent (e.g. Dexron® III)”. Any recommendations on which one to use? I was looking at Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. The back of the bottle says “Recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring Dexron III”
What are your thoughts/recommendations. Thanks
I used a "high-mileage" Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic ATF with "Dex/Merc" compatibility (my 3 had ~150,000 miles when I sucked some of the old fluid out of the reservoir and added some of this fresh stuff). Did you check it when cold? How low was it? Per the 2006 Owner's Manual:

"Inspect the fluid level in the reservoir at each engine oil change with the engine off and cold. Add fluid if necessary; it does not require periodic changing."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a "high-mileage" Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic ATF with "Dex/Merc" compatibility (my 3 had ~150,000 miles when I sucked some of the old fluid out of the reservoir and added some of this fresh stuff). Did you check it when cold? How low was it? Per the 2006 Owner's Manual:

"Inspect the fluid level in the reservoir at each engine oil change with the engine off and cold. Add fluid if necessary; it does not require periodic changing."
I got an oil change yesterday and noticed it was like an inch and a half below the minimum level. Same level when both running and cold.
2005 Mazda 3i

·
Registered
160 Posts
When was the last time you checked the level, and what level was it at that time? Regardless, I'd top it off (cold) for now, and monitor closely for a week or two of driving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts