Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just sitting at a light 10 minutes ago and my power steering just went out for no reason. My battery is fine, every other power device is working fine. I drive a 2007 with only 20,000 miles. Any ideas?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like to me that it either had an air bubble in the pump or it is low on fluid. If neither are the case, I would change the fluid out. Maybe it is too old and weak. 20K might be a lot depending on the environment where you live and drive. No other ideas than that, sorry.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Fluid level is the quickest thing to check so it makes sense to do that first. But it could also be a blown fuse for the power steering pump. I assume there must be a fuse, and probably a pretty big one, 50 amps or more. I have no idea where it would be located though the owner's manual might show it, assuming it is considered a user serviceable part. Of course a blown fuse could indicate the pump/motor is kaput but on a 2007 with 20,000 miles you will hopefully still be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I can't imagine an electrical circuit without a fuse, circuit breaker or some sort of overload protection. It may not be a user serviceable part though, rather something you would have to have checked at the dealer. It could be built into the pump for all I know.

Or it could just be low fluid. That is much easier to deal with, at least temporarily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts