Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, has anyone else noticed that every little thing that you do when in the car really effects the power going through the car. To clarify, whenever I lock the doors or turn on the radio or the heater or even when I turn the steering wheel, the lights dim for a second. I assume that this is directly correlated to the alternator. Am I correct on this? Is there anything we can do to change this or is it just an inherent issue with our cars?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have yet to notice anything and I'm pretty good at noticing every squeak and rattle etc. I also have a 400 watt amp running a 12 and still have yet to notice anything. On my previous cars I noticed it A LOT. Could be the alternator going out.

~Saint

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yep! - The air flow decreases everytime I use something else - seat heaters, lights, stereo.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info everyone. Saint, my car is brand new so I have a hard time believing that the alternator is going out. You must have a super strong one though. I guess I'll just have to deal with it or get some grounding wires.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yea I bought mine last april. It's possible. Not really going out but just maybe defective. I mean when I really have a lot of things on I can barly notice a small ammount of flicker. I test lcd moniters all day so I can pick up on flicker really well haha. You could allways go to your local Autozone and have them run a load test to see if everything is up to par. My brother in laws 3 is 4 months old and his flickers a lot. His is also slow to start in the mornings. It turned out that his battery wasn't holding a good charge.

~Saint

·
Registered
455 Posts
Try the Big 3 upgrade. It's fairly inexpensive to do, and really helped out on some of my previous cars.

Is it an issue only at idle, or is there a voltage drop when the engine is up around 1500-2000 rpm?

The voltage on a particular alternator may drop a little more at idle than others of the same model do.

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=ag bullet link=topic=67807.msg1169729#msg1169729 date=1169784987]
So is this one of the things that those "condenser kits" or grounding kits will resolve?
[/quote]
No, just do the big 3. Or even a partial big 3, like engine to ground, and battery to ground.

For more info, search is your friend. Prolly some info up in the stickies too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts