Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's rumored (and I have reason to believe) that when the Premacy gets redesigned in the next couple years, it will be renamed the Mazda4. For those of you unfamiliar with foreign Mazda models, the Premacy is a tall wagon/MPV based on the Protege platform. The current model Premacy is not very sporty looking, but neither was the Protege, so a redesign will probably take care of that issue.

I looked at a MZ3 hatch last night and found myself wondering if it needs a bigger interior. Given the current trend toward tall crossover wagons, do you think Mazda should market such a car in North America? Do the Tribute and Mazda3 hatch cover enough crossover/sport wagon territory that we don't need a Mazda4?

·
Registered
452 Posts
is more box feel than the Mz3 Hatch
likes like a minivan...but mini mini version

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I don't like it-I don't like those taller crossover wagons either. If I wanted that I would buy an SUV.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Like it! This is like a RAV4/Tribute type of SUV but it looks like a minivan and it has a lower centre of gravity - and I bet it's more fun to drive too.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Tribute type? Tribute is a standard SUV Box... it's just a smaller version of the explorer, basically (which is why I like it... although I'd go for the Explorer)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
RENAULT SCENIC 1996

RENAULT SCENIC 1999

RENAULT SCENIC 2003

OPEL ZAFIRA 1999

OPEL ZAFIRA 2003

MAZDA PREMACY 1999

MAZDA PREMACY 2002

CITROËN XSARA PICASSO 2000

TOYOTA COROLLA VERSO 2002

VOLKSWAGEN TOURAN 2003

FORD FOCUS C-MAX 2003

So midi-MPV are usually based on the compact-midclass cars as we call it

Scenic based on Mégane
Zafira based on Astra
Premacy based on 626 (and some 323)
Picasso based on Xsara
Corolla Verso based on Corolla
Touran based on Golf V
C-max based on Focus (2004)

And there are more midi-MPV's. Most of them have 5-seats (Touran optional 7 and Touran std 7 and Multipla 3+3) which all can be removed easely. They are highter, have more room and are in price between the Mazda3 and Mazda6, Astra and Vectra, Xsara and C5, Corolla and Avensis, Golf and Passat, Focus and Mondeo etc etc

The Premacy:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Whoa... all these sport cross-overs and stuff...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahura said:
The Premacy is on the 626-platform, not the Protege/323. the Mazda4 will be based at the Mazda6.
I was almost positive the Premacy was a stretched 323 platform, the same way the MPV is a stretched 626 platform. I believe the part about the Mazda4 being based on the Mazda6 though, since I keep reading about how Ford wants to use the 6 platform for about a dozen different cars & crossovers. I think they plan on making a Mercury crossover from the 6, and that'll probably be a cousin of the Mazda4.

Stupid Ford, stealing our good platforms...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I've read that before too. But if you look at the spy pics loos the 4 bigger then the C-max. And another thing why I do believe what www.autotelegraaf.nl said, is that the C-max isn't very roomy! The Premacy has more space. And I know it, because we've got the Premacy and I sat in the C-max. ánd... the Mazda4 will be a 5 and 7-seater. So the car hás to be larger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts