Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evenin' ya'll. My name is Will. I currently drive a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado Z71. I am in the market for a car that gets good fuel economy because I will be starting college in the fall. My main picks right now are the 3s 4 door, a Civic EX Coupe, or an Accord EX Coupe. Price will be the biggest determining factor. I really like the 3's, but have not had a chance to drive one yet. Where I come from, guys like myself don't drive cars. Its just not done. I'm hoping that I'll be able to convince myself that the 3 is "masculine" enough for me (it's not girly, I'm just having a hard time accepting that!). You all have awesome cars and I look forward to sharing mine with you assuming I decide on it. Keep the rubber side down, ya'll!

EDIT: Thread title

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Will. Good luck on deciding on which car to buy. You'll find a tonne of information on this board. A question for you: Why do you think the 3 is a "girly" car. I actually think it's quite "beefy".

·
Registered
627 Posts
Femenine

Hope no one takes offense to this - here's my thinking.

The GT model is sporty for a sedan. It's masculine. I think the same about the hatch.

The GS model; it could go either way. It's practical, pretty quick, and obviously has the same functionality as the GT, it just doesn't have the same appeal.

So, the more "macho" versions are the GT and 5 door.

I feel the same way about the Altimas. The base models could go either way, but the 2.5s Extra and 3.5 are definitely cars for us guys. *grunt, grunt, grunt*. :twisted:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Duck, it's like this:Where Mule comes from (and down here where I am also) probably 75% of the male populace drives a pickup truck, or at least an SUV... call the M3 "beefy" all you want, when you are surrounded by Dodge Duallys , Z-71's with bodylifts, and 4x4 F-250 Turbodiesels, ANY car looks weak, but ESPECIALLY one that either a) doesn't have an engine as large as a truck's or b) Is small enough to fit entirely in a truck bed.
That is the culture down here, and the truck percentage is even higher in smaller towns.

But I digress.

I drove a 4x4 4runner for a long time, and for a little while I was real hesitant about switching to something that couldn't handle 6" of mud or take speedbumps at 20mph. But the other side of the coin is the fun to drive factor. The 4runner was great for flying across pastures, trailrunning, etc., but everyday driving is really nothing special in trucks and SUVs in my opinion. I mean sure, you can squeal the tires at lights and maybe swing it around turns too fast, but it doesn't hold a candle to a car) The 3, on the other hand, (and you HAVE to test drive one, and make sure you push it - who cares what the salesman thinks) is loads of fun to drive around town. It has enough engine to be peppy, and a great suspension and definitely has the Civic and Accord beat handling wise. I do suggest the sport 2.3l because it's what I have, but I hear the 2.0l is plenty of fun as well if you need to go with the basic model.

And the first time someone says something about it being less than masculine, take them for a ride... and after a little autocrossing, a few turns at speeds that would put a truck on its side, a power slide or two, and maybe a parking break 180, I think they'll shut up, either because they're scared witless or because they can't get the grin off their face.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very well put. I will definately be going for the S model, assuming I get a 3. I've got to get a little bit of bodywork done on my Z and then I'll put it on the market...it goes in the shop Tuesday. I'll keep you posted. I already practically know enough about the 3's to have owned one because of these boards....ya'll are passionate about your cars! Til next time....

I'm actually looking forward to having a car because of gas mileage and cost to run. I run synthetic oil in my vehicles and it costs nearly $50 to change the oil in my truck, tires are at least $100 each if you get a tire that is worth anything, and a fillup that is under $30 is rare! I'm ready for some change in my pocket!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mulerider3, I'm SO glad to see that you're willing to even consider getting a car. Like MGB I'm from Texas, and there are too many people that have no real reason for a huge truck, but feel like they need one to compete with their fellow males. Good sense is usually beaten for a desire to be macho, despite the maintainence costs and the parking pains of such huge vehicles.

I'm sure there will be some things you miss about the truck, but the 3 is an excellent choice, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Regardless of what you end up, make sure you test drive them...if nothing else you get to drive cars, and that's always fun.

Great solution: Buy a Mazda 3, then with the money you saved for getting a cheaper car buy an ATV! Then you can go offroading, and fly around the streets with agility all while saving money. Heck, you can even by a motorcycle too with the price difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I actually already have an ATV (we call 'em 4-wheelers) and will use that around the farm. My dad has a Z71 just like mine and we also have a Toyota farm truck and I will have access to both of those when needed. If you got down to it, I could actually probably justify myself having a truck, but I don't want to have to work any more than I have to to make ends meet while I am in college. With gas prices on the rise, this means more now than ever. I've gotten a good quote from a dealer in Little Rock and will most likely go with the 3 when my truck sells.

·
Registered
213 Posts
3 vs truck

Dude, go with the 3. It is friggin awesome, especially compared to a truck! I live in TX, where everybody wants a jacked up truck, so I know what you are feeling. I had a truck and must say that the 3 beats it in every category (except torque and towing associated stuff). Its just a better vehicle to drive, especially if you will be going home frequently from college. Also handy for getting groceries, women, and most importantly, beer. Ahhh...Beer!

Overall, the 3 is just more cost efficient. It will get better gas mileage and will not be taken to the shop as much due to Mazda's high reliability ratings. Also, the 3 is a lot safer vehicle in adverse driving conditions (just think about the lack of weight in the bed of the truck). Go for the 3 and be different!

BK
San Marcos, TX

·
Registered
69 Posts
Buy a truck if you need to tow anything.. or if your penis is small and you're all too aware of it. There really aren't any other reasons to buy a truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that was uncalled for.

I hunt, fish, camp, have livestock, and live on a farm. The issue is not whether or not I need a truck, it is whether or not the 3 is a car that will keep me satisfied until I am out of college and able to buy a new truck. On my farm, anything less than a full size 4x4 won't make it across the pasture. Towing is not the only reason for needing a truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts