Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Something just occured to me. What if the guys having more severe rotor groove problems are also the ones with worse fuel economy? This would make some sense since those with severe rotor grooves are probably experiencing higher than normal pad-drag on their rotors and thus worse fuel economy. Here's my info:

Fuel economy: 26 to 28 mpg in my manual 2.3L hatch.

Front rotors: Fine.
Rear rotors: very slight grooving.
Brake dust: nothing out of the ordinary at 1500 miles

EDIT: Added to thread title :twisted:

·
Registered
157 Posts
i had similar thoughts. the additional brake dust in the back seemed to me to indicate calipers set too close to the rotors, which may also contribute to grooving the rotors.

also, my hand brake does not pull up very far (a few inches) and i think that may be another indication the calipers are too tight. i have more rear brake dust than front and a slightly grooved rear rotor on the driver's side. build date is 11/03.

·
Registered
254 Posts
yeh my hand brake doesn't go up too high and there's already brake dust on the rear rotors, i haven't checked for grooves. build date is 10/03 it's got almost 400 miles on it. Should i ask the delaer to look into this?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm getting around 26mpg also - 3700 miles mostly traffic'd highway driving.

Rear rotors aren't smooth but not necessarily grooved either... I'm planning on asking service about it when (if!!) they ever get my fuel pump regulator delivered. Build date is 10/03.

·
Registered
25 Posts
RPC180...where'd you get that short antenna?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts