Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving today and hit a small pot hole. I heard this loud *bang* sound from what seemed like the front passenger side wheel area. Im almost 75% sure it was just a large clump of bilt up snow that got banged around in the wheel well. BUT ever since that happened if i go above 80Km/h the steering wheel starts to vibrate pretty harshly. I have around 800 km on my car.

Im not sure exactly what is happening but I know its not normal!

WTF is going on?

·
Registered
233 Posts
It may be a bented wheel or as simple as a misalignment. Go to the dealer and check it out.

·
Registered
889 Posts
bee04M3S said:
I was driving today and hit a small pot hole. I heard this loud *bang* sound from what seemed like the front passenger side wheel area. Im almost 75% sure it was just a large clump of bilt up snow that got banged around in the wheel well. BUT ever since that happened if i go above 80Km/h the steering wheel starts to vibrate pretty harshly. I have around 800 km on my car.

Im not sure exactly what is happening but I know its not normal!

WTF is going on?
Lift that side of the car up and see if your wheel didn't get bent. I'm not sure how strong our 17" rims are but I bent my 18" forged rim on a large pothole. Also, if the pot hole is nasty enough, it will make a bubble on the tire which would also cause some imbalance. If you are still not sure, just pull that tire out and put the spare in and see if it still vibrate. Good luck, hope it is nothing serious!

·
Registered
882 Posts
At first I'd say it's out of balance but yeah just run it to the dealer and have them look at it. At worst it would be a bent rim but they are pretty hard to do that to now.

I would probably say Misalilgnment is unlikely to cause that kind of effect at 80km/h, it would probably just cause a pull not a vibration unless it's REALLY out of alignment.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Check to see if a clump of snow hasn't stuck to the inside of the rim.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Look inside the wheel to see if you see the tape weights.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The doc's diagnostic says:

Bent alloy
Allignment off
Weights lost
Snow/ice formed inside the rim causing vibration at higher speeds

Better check w/Mazda.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so, i checked it last night, and sure enough, there was a nice thick layer of ice in the front passenger wheel.
Next question, could it do any damage to take a blow dryer to it. I dont have a heated garage anywhere around here, and it doesnt seem like its gonna warm up any in the next....month. Seems like my only option.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
A hairdryer isnt gonna damage anything, with common sense.

Maybe a car wash?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hey now, maybe the ice usurped the weights on the wheel and when melted they will be gone... ;) I know I'm stretching here. :D

I'd use a carwash myself, a hair dryer will take some time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello from here norther of Europe.

One thing what can cause also that kind of problem is broken tire "body". If the melting ice away from wheel won't help, check tire sidewalls are there any bulge (right word?).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts