Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

i might introduce myself.
My name is Christian, and since a week I own my new Axela with an 105hp engine. Everything is just fine with the car, and I am totaly amazed about what you are allowed to do with your cars.
In germany, we have many restrictions on what is allowed to modify.

One thing are position lights which are, as far as I know, enabled by stock in US. As even the german (and maybe all european) models have the reflectors for position lights included but not activated, I wanted to ask, how exactly do the position lights in US models work?

Do you have special bulbs installed behind the reflectors, or is there another way, they are illuminated?

I would appreciate any answer, which might help me getting this little lights to work, as they are indeed allowed but only few cars have them from stock (some Volvos and BMWs have).

I dont want to add any aftermarket positonlights, as they mostly don't fit in the design of the car.

Kind regards
Christian

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't get what you mean, so I can't help you. but anyways, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
489 Posts
ahhh yes, the language barrier can be difficult especially considering English isn't probably his first language...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Do you have a picture of 'position lights' so we can understand what you mean, it might just be a different name for something else.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I re-read his message trying to figure out what "position lights" are. I THINK he's talking about the side blinkers. Then he kept saying Reflectors and lights behind the reflectors?!?!

Kurbel, can you post a picture of a Mazda and circle the "position lights"

·
Registered
976 Posts
I don't know what a position light is, it might be a side marker, I might be wrong but here is what I think...

WTF is mazda thinking?
"One thing are position lights which are, as far as I know, enabled by stock in US. As even the german (and maybe all european) models have the reflectors for position lights included but not activated"

Why does mazda keep selling unfinished products? For the 04 guys, there's fuel computer icons on the LCD but the feature isn't there. The auto climate control wasn't an option but the icon on the LCD is there as well. Projector headlights with no HID options, that's just great. DRL on a low beam with pulsed voltage? How hard would it be for them to figure out that people WILL be putting HIDs into those projectors? Now this one is even funnier, "position lights are there but can't be activated". Next thing we know they're going to put in a turbo charger that doesn't work into some unknown country's mazda 3.

Alright back to the topic,
http://www.sportflyingshop.com/Safety/LED_Position_Lights/led_position_lights.html
I searched and this is what I found, so I guess he meant the signal lights on the side / sidemarker / whatever you call it.

If so, all you need to do is tap them into the signal light wires in the engine bay. But who knows maybe mazda just put in an empty housing with no wires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@devil2k:
Side markers seem to be what i mean ;)

@respiro:
Indeed german is my first english, but I keep improving my english.

@ebhcr:
Most cars on the german market don't have stock side markers. But many people place ugly aftermarket ones at their (even more ugly) cars.

So you have a housing behind the side markers with a bulb installed in it? I will remove the tail light unit at the weekend and have a look at what is inside.

EDIT:
So I used google (which I should have done earleir) and side markers are NOT what I mean.
Side markers are turn signals at the cars side right? They are positioned somewhat bellow the mirrors...

I again try to explain what I mean:
When you put your lights on, you have a orange light in the front light unit, and a red one in the tail light unit which direct to the sides of the car.

I looked some photos and I saw, that you have additional red lights at the back of the car, which seem to be doing, what I mean.

The light, which I marked with a red circle, is totally missing in the european cars. But the green marked ones may be illuminated at your cars, too. If they are just reflectors without a bulb behind them, forget what I asked for ;)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes, those close to the rear end they're just reflectors, the only reason you see them on is because people buy aftermarket ones that have LEDs to replace them. However, to hook them up you'll have to get underneath your car or take off the rear bumper so you can access those reflectors easier. There's no housing inside, but there are bolts holding them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Did he post a picture? He wrote [bold]The light, which I marked with a red circle, is totally missing in the european cars. But the green marked ones may be illuminated at your cars, too. If they are just reflectors without a bulb behind them, forget what I asked for[/bold]

But I don't see a picture with a circle. For the tail lights the actual lights in the tail section, when headlights are on, the red is on so that people can see your car at night, when you press the brakes, another red light turns on real bright to signal the brakes are on. also the third brake lights turn on.

Underneath the tail lights on the bumper are red reflectors, there are no lights in them (stock). People have blackened those reflectors or changed them to white reflectors, I've never seen anyone put lights in the reflectors.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
[quote author=nXt link=topic=72082.msg1272727#msg1272727 date=1174107978]
Underneath the tail lights on the bumper are red reflectors, there are no lights in them (stock). People have blackened those reflectors or changed them to white reflectors, I've never seen anyone put lights in the reflectors.
[/quote]

There's a GB going on for smoked reflectors with LEDs in them.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
[quote author=devil2k link=topic=72082.msg1270542#msg1270542 date=1174018858]
I don't know what a position light is, it might be a side marker, I might be wrong but here is what I think...

WTF is mazda thinking?
"One thing are position lights which are, as far as I know, enabled by stock in US. As even the german (and maybe all european) models have the reflectors for position lights included but not activated"

Why does mazda keep selling unfinished products? For the 04 guys, there's fuel computer icons on the LCD but the feature isn't there. The auto climate control wasn't an option but the icon on the LCD is there as well. Projector headlights with no HID options, that's just great. DRL on a low beam with pulsed voltage? How hard would it be for them to figure out that people WILL be putting HIDs into those projectors? Now this one is even funnier, "position lights are there but can't be activated". Next thing we know they're going to put in a turbo charger that doesn't work into some unknown country's mazda 3.

Alright back to the topic,
http://www.sportflyingshop.com/Safety/LED_Position_Lights/led_position_lights.html
I searched and this is what I found, so I guess he meant the signal lights on the side / sidemarker / whatever you call it.

If so, all you need to do is tap them into the signal light wires in the engine bay. But who knows maybe mazda just put in an empty housing with no wires.
[/quote]

Next years exciting new features!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts