Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
If it's fine I'm fine; I'm not pulling my suspension apart lol.

The torque specs on tower mount bolts are not high; 30 ft/lbs I believe.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
heres some pictures.........

this is the koyo bearing kit from BC that i have recieved, replaces the top hat of the spring to allow it to move freely.

the kit replaces this hunk of shit

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Wow so BC sent you a replacment top hats with the koyo bearings? Or did you just replace the original plastic black bearing with the koyo bearing under the top hat?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
BC sent me the bearing spring hat for free to replace the top part of the coilover where as shown right about the spring.

·
Registered
67 Posts
[quote author=ma/da3 link=topic=188619.msg3978914#msg3978914 date=1301505330]
I hear a popping or knocking type sound coming from mostly the front passenger side when I turn left or right. It can be at a stop or when driving. I also hear that sound when driving straight on slightly uneven roads. The mechanic who installed it said when I turn the wheel, the strut bearing turns causing the sound. Is it normal for the bushing to move and what can be done to stop the noise?

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Okay, so I think this is primarily for ST Coilovers, NOT BC Coilovers, and since I have this LOUD clunking, knocking, popping, or whatever you want to call it. I just know that on one side, the side I did first the end link went in fine, the other side I had problems getting the endlink on. Then there was this post about endlinks, and lowered Mazda's. http://a mazda forum.com/forums/2010-mazda-3-suspension-handling/6368-adjustable-front-endlinks.html It made me think. Now I can tell you how many times I've had to stick my head under the wheel wells, but I decided to once again stick my head in there once again, but this time I removed both end links, and guess what? No more LOUD clunking, knocking, popping, or whatever you want to call it. I will get a little sound like the spring is binding, but it is tolerable, not even noticable when I have the stereo on. Now this is what I found to be true, on my car. Yours may be different, but try it out, and see.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I left them off. I'm getting adjustable ones on Wednesday. I'm just taking it easy, especially on my favorite curves. It actually feels better driving now.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
cause as mentioned above I got adjustable ones and to get both the endlinks without issues both sides have to be jacked up not just 1.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Haha I was going to come in this thread and say to check and see if its the endlinks, just remove both and drive without them, if there is still noise you can rule those out. What adjustable endlinks did you guys get? I have a pair of whiteline endlinks that ive had all winter. They are teflon lined in the heim joint and it is my understanding that they are not supposed to be lubed. But I also hear that the teflon lined joints tend to wear fast after getting dirty which results in noise.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Anyone having these issues with H&R coilovers? Curious if they have a better upper bearing design or not compared to ST/KW.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Ahh gotcha. So no problems with that then I take it. I thought KW's used the stock upper mounts too but I guess not.

·
Registered
864 Posts
[quote author=hoffo link=topic=188619.msg3986848#msg3986848 date=1302145912]
Ahh gotcha. So no problems with that then I take it. I thought KW's used the stock upper mounts too but I guess not.
[/quote]

ST coilovers uses the stock mounts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The only issue I have with using stock mounts is that they are made with crappy metal and they bend and chip. I just had my coils apart and mine need replacing soon. At $70 a pop for the pair of strut mounts its gonna get old if they keep breaking,

·
Registered
424 Posts
guess to replace the bearing,struts have to be disassembled and springs have to come out like doing a spring/strut installation with spring compressor right?

[quote author=Carowen link=topic=188619.msg3980462#msg3980462 date=1301613369]
heres some pictures.........

this is the koyo bearing kit from BC that i have recieved, replaces the top hat of the spring to allow it to move freely.

the kit replaces this hunk of shit

[/quote]

·
Registered
424 Posts
So there's something between the bearing and the sping to keep the spring from coming off if the bearing is removed I guess?becuz from the picture it looks like the bearing is in direct contact with the spring...I never touched coilovers before and am looking at getting a set of BC,don't wanna the springs to fly out and hurt myself if changing of bearing is needed in the future.

Basically I just need to remove the nut on the top,the strut mount and the bearing will come right out,followed by swapping the bearing,then put everything back and all is done?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Is koyo bearing standard on BC coilovers now? Some people posted pictures of their newly purchased coilovers and it looks a lot like the one on the picture above

·
Registered
67 Posts
Okay, I received the new end links from Powergrid. Chip had me measure center to center, and my measurements were 11.5" the links he sent are adjustable from 11" to just under 12". I adjusted them to 11.25". No more clunking, smoother ride. I do think I may need to grease the top hat bearings more, I'm am hearing a slight rubbing of the springs, with the stereo on I don't hear the rubbing at all, it's very slight.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts